Do you wash baby cothes before using them?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

annabella Posts: 190
ok i'm a first timer - a question are you supposed to wash baby clothes before using them??
jess08 Posts: 481
I dont know if it is necessary to wash them, but i did. Just for the first few months. Make sure its a non biological powder. I used comfort pure softener (i know im opening another debate here! :o0 ) as i wanted them to be soft and snuggly. jess
great thanks i has read somewhere that its best to wash them first...bought loads of bits at the weekend so can start washing them.
McMummy Posts: 1041
I washed everything I had before the birth which got me through the first few weeks after that I didn't wash anything I bought except for sheets blankets and towels.
baby-bel Posts: 929
maybe this is a silly question but Why do you have to wash new babies clothes before you first use them? Its not like any other baby has tried them on :o0 sorry I just dont understand :eek
totalnovice Posts: 787
i would assume its to get rid of my dust or unseen dirt on them?? Laughing here picturing little babies trying them on and deciding there bum looks too big in the baby gro!
jess08 Posts: 481
totalnovice thats so funny!!! :o0 :o0 i think its also to take out any chemicals involved in the manufacturing/ dyeing process.
totalnovice can't get that picture out of my head now....too funny :o0 :o0
workingmom Posts: 3429
I saw an add for one of the top non-bio washing liquids recently, it was a baby vest and it had printed on it "100% new, not 100% clean" I guess if you bought something that someone with a flu had been picking up, there's germs there for the baby, I will wash all the clothes prior to using them just to be on the safe side.
newly_wed Posts: 1039
Any clothes, blankets etc that I bought that were wrapped/had been wrapped in plastic packaging had really strong chemical smells on them from the packaging so I washed everything.