Doctors Appointments - FREE?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

catfish Posts: 124
Girls am I right in thinking that pregnancy related doctors appointment are free? I thought I read that on here a long time ago. I'm going to book today for during the week to confirm my pregnancy.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Some charge for the first appointment, mine doesn't. Also I think there's a max of six in the scheme.
Silini2 Posts: 3834
I've never had to pay for any GP apts for any of my pregnancies.
Rosewater Posts: 372
I didn't have to pay for my initial GP visit. GP visits with pregnancy related issues are free. [i:aaxtgf04]The Maternity and Infant Care Scheme provides a programme of care to all expectant mothers who are ordinarily resident in Ireland. It combines antenatal care provided by a family doctor (GP) of your choice and a hospital obstetrician. You are entitled to the service free of charge, even if you do not hold a medical card. Patients would normally attend their GP before the 12th week of pregnancy. The GP provides a further 6 examinations during the pregnancy, which are alternated with visits to the maternity unit/hospital. The first visit to the hospital antenatal clinic should take place by the 20th week. If the expectant mother suffers from a significant illness, e.g., diabetes or hypertension, up to 5 additional visits to the GP may be provided.[/i:aaxtgf04]
catfish Posts: 124
Thanks very much girls :wv Another question , do I date my pregnancy from the first date of my last period? Or roughly when conception happened?
Silini2 Posts: 3834
From first day of last period. That is how doc will work it out. They will adjust it if necessary at your scan depending on measurements of baby.