Does anyone commute from Laois to Dublin City Centre

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

marianf Posts: 5845
Hi folks, Just wondering if anyone does this each day and what mode of transport they use. DH and I commute by car 4 days a week (although I am on mat leave at the moment). We both work on the Naas Road so dont have to go into the city centre but DH's company is relocating to the city centre and as we will have DS with us, I am not sure if we can continue to travel together, so looking at other options for DH. Would appreciate any advise. We live in South Laois so would have to drive to Portlaoise to get public transport. Many thanks
workingmom Posts: 3429
I don't, but I commute from north KK, (not far from you) I'd say, to west dublin (by car). TBH, the only options you'll have are either to drop him at the train station on the way, or perhaps drop him at the red line luas park and ride on the way to work, it's about 30 mins from there to city centre. I think the luas is your best bet, you can still travel together that far, there's luas every 5-10 mins and even though I think its about 4.50 return, it'd be cheaper than bus or train from Portlaoise or similar. There are regular commuter tickets you can buy for the luas and I think that you can claim tax back on them.
Thank you. I think the luas is our best option too although we will have ds with us and also have to take into account getting him to the childminder and then collecting him again. Travelling together will also mean that we have to leave very early so that DH can be in the city centre for 8.30am. Typical all this would happen when we have a little baby to think about too. Thanks again
HappyMum2010 Posts: 431
Hey Marian, I commuted for years but don't anymore.(drive to naas from portlaoise now) I was going to the City Centre. Used O'Connells Bus and then the train. I would have driven then if I had the car. My advice would be to: avoid the bus (as it takes so long) avoid the train (as they get unbelievably crowded as the train gets closer and closer to dublin- OK for a student or that, but i think it would be a nightmare with your little baby) Usually the train is jammers by the time it gets to newbridge and very uncomfortable from there on in. Continue to drive to wherever is convenient to drop DS at childminders, and for your DH to jump on a train to city centre eg: sallins? also from Kildare station and in, the arrow runs so a lot more trains running so the times would be more flexible for you. Alternatively I second the idea of dropping your DH at the luas line at the red cow stop. I think driving will be most convenient for ye. Hope ye get sorted :thnk
Thanks LaoisWollie. I think we have it sussed now. Going to drop DH off at Cookstown to get Luas and then head to childminder, getting there before she leaves the house to drop her own kids to school. I can pick DS up in the evening and by the time I get to cookstown he should be there. It will make our work day about 2 hours longer but save us money on train tickets, parking and diesel as I will have to drive regardless of what he is doing. Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate it.
HappyMum2010 Posts: 431
Sounds like a plan! HTH :thnk
workingmom Posts: 3429
You're very welcome, I'm glad I could help you in some small way.