Menu

Does anyone else find pregnancy a lil lonely at times?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Delish Posts: 4176
This is a hard one to explain, but I find I get a bit annoyed with h2b at times because even though he is excited and concerned for me, sometimes I don't think he has a great understanding of what it's like to be pregnant. Like this morning I woke up with an awful abdomen pain, I turned on my side to alleviate it. He chatted away about how this pregnancy was perfectly timed! Ah hello, I'm the one in pain here looking forward to labour (bit scary). I'm the one who has to then loose the weight in preparation for wedding, and undoubtedly I'll be the one organising the wedding. I reminded him of pre-natal class, and of course he had forgotten it was on tonight, I told him I couldn't remember if tonight's class was the visit to the hospital (just for women) or not. He said Oh right well what are you going to do about it, how will you find out, Em Hello we are both having this baby. So I said I would find out about class, if he sorted out the pre-marriage course. Why do I have to even broker these agreements with him. Then He was saying how by having a baby now, we are getting a big job out of the way, cause we'ld probably end up doing it next year - Em Yeah, that's a great simplistic attitude as I lie in bed with pain subsiding away - Just easy peasy, might as well get the job out of the way this year rather than next year. Has he any idea what we are in for at all when baby arrives???? Then last night a school friend called in to visit, very nice of her to call, but when other people aren't in baby mode sometimes you feel a bit detatched as our lives are so different at the moment. I don't know, when you are pregnant, you are just so obsessed with your body and your baby that you are kind of removed from normal chit chat, and it can be a little isolating at times.
sunnyside Posts: 3164
Yeah I think that is all quite true Delish. My DH has been great but he has a different attitude to this. I have said to him can you imagine if you had a tummy bug for three months non-stop how you would feel (that's only when I'm feeling really bit*hy) and then he says 'god yeah that must be awful'. I think they need examples that they can relate to of how it feels. I also think men can't possibly feel the same way cause they just don't have the physical symptoms or changes. I have sort of acknowledged (despite being a modern career woman :o0 ) that a lot of the child bearing/rearing rests with the woman. No matter how good the man is (and my DH is great, does all the housework at the moment, always asking if I want cup of tea etc), I think it's the woman who has to go through this and there's no way around that (I wish there was :o0 ). But I just make sure I tell him how I'm feeling. My mum also used to say me and my sisters growing up to 'always be a little bit delicate' and what she meant was don't try to be superwoman or you'll be let. If you have a flu- take to your bed when you can just like a man would and you'll get far more sympathy than soldiering on. As for your friend calling over- I know what you mean. We've a big family wedding coming up later in the year and normally I'd be really involved and excited but all I can think is will I even be at it!! It's just a different time for us but it's so special. Us women definitely have the harder job but it must be cause we're so good at it :wv
oirish Posts: 1541
yes i know what you mean. Add in house arrest for months and I'm feeling like cracking up. People do make an effort to come see me but they all have their own lives and I appreciate that. Sometimes I just cry for want of company :( But then these days I never feel totally along as junior bashes me relentlessly saying "still here mom" :o0 Dh is wonderful but there is only so much moaning he can listen to hah
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
O:o)
sinion Posts: 6050
[quote="oirish":i9fow7ck]yes i know what you mean. Add in house arrest for months and I'm feeling like cracking up. People do make an effort to come see me but they all have their own lives and I appreciate that. Sometimes I just cry for want of company :( [b:i9fow7ck]But then these days I never feel totally along as junior bashes me relentlessly saying "still here mom" [/b:i9fow7ck] :o0 Dh is wonderful but there is only so much moaning he can listen to hah[/quote:i9fow7ck] i'm just adoring that so much, like you the house arrest has me gone to near insanity at times but getting those thumps all day long just make me laugh out loud and even though i'm not getting verbal responses, I am at least talking to someone all day! :o0 Delish totally understand what you mean, I was saying that to hubby recently, that it is quite a lonely time, I know i'm being left out of a lot of things with friends, not that they mean to, but they know that I won't be able for most of what their doing so they don't ask. They come over a bit but I really miss having regular company.