Does anyone else have to pay to cater for vegetarians???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

laobhise Posts: 8
Just back from meeting with hotel and I am so angry. I am a vegetarian and so are 3 guests. We have two choices on our food menu for main course of chicken or seabass and we have to pay €6.50 per person to have this which is fine for this choice. I was discussing the vegetarian option with them today and I presumed that I would just give them the numbers before and the vegetarians would be catered for but today they mentioned charging an extra €6.50 per person (at the wedding) to provide the vegetarian option (to 4 people!!!!) There are 160 people coming to my wedding so this would cost me €1040 just for them to provide 4 vegetarian meals. I dont even want the vegetarian option on the menu so its not like anyone else will be choosing it on the day. So angry as I feel that this is unreasonable. Did anyone else have to pay to cater for vegetarians? Wonder will I have to pay an extra €6.50 per person if someone says they are diabetic or a coeliac? Do you think I am overreacting- just so angry about it!!
NowGone Posts: 8042
Thats utterly un reasonable. Virtually every hotel caters for approx 10% of guests being vegetarian - and NEVER chagre for it. Additional charges should only apply if a vegetaria option is being offered as part of a choice to EVERYONE. Seriously - I worked in catering for nearly 10 years and I;ve never heard of this. In fact, it's almost be a deal breaker for me.
Trillian Posts: 1685
I agree. My venue has said they don't need to know in advance, they just make sure they have one on the day as requested. No additional charge, I just pay whatever the per head rate is.
spanishbride08 Posts: 413
Like NoZilla said, i would seriously consider that a deal breaker! Get on to the Banqueting Manager, or if it was the Banqueting mgr you were dealing with, then the General Manager of the hotel to have it out with them. No hotel should ever charge for catering to specific dietary requirements. O:|
marianf Posts: 5845
I agree with Nozilla. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!!! You shouldnt be paying anything for the vegetarian considering the lack of meat in their meal will make it significantly cheaper to make. I would seriously threaten to pull the wedding.
laobhise Posts: 8
I feel like telling them where to go but my wedding is in 2 months and it would be so much hassle to change. The person in charge of the weddings has changed so this is a new lady and when we met the previous lady she said that everything would be covered (but I dont have anything written down about that). I cant understand how they can charge us especially when it is not an option on the menu. Told her I was not happy about it at all and she was a bit dismissive and said that she would get back to me. For €1040 for 4 vegetarian meals I would expect to be eating at the Ritz.
Go over her head and go straight to the General Manager. She is a silly girl who doesnt understand the way it works. She obviously thinks that it is a choice for everyone. Ring the hotel this minute. I am cross now and need a resolution.
NowGone Posts: 8042
[color=blue:3tz3vh33][size=200:3tz3vh33]Kick Up Blue Murder.[/size:3tz3vh33][/color:3tz3vh33] Quote us on this post! I visited 30 venues for our wedding and every single one of them ALWAYS had vegetarian alternative for non-meat eating guests at no extra cost. This isn't a choice, it a veggie alternative. I'm sure everyone will be quite happy to list their venues that don't charge this. It's utterly ridiculous. Christ. If you've one coeliac, are they going to charge you a further €6.50 for all of your guests to cater for that one person? Tell her that the last girl confirmed there wouldn't be a charge and demand she comes back to you on this asap, confirming in writing. Have a google on it - see if you can if there's any guielines issed by the Irish Caterers federation. Gah! This has actually made me angry.
spanishbride08 Posts: 413
[quote="laobhise":1cwz1pjp]I feel like telling them where to go but my wedding is in 2 months and it would be so much hassle to change. The person in charge of the weddings has changed so this is a new lady and when we met the previous lady she said that everything would be covered (but I dont have anything written down about that). I cant understand how they can charge us especially when it is not an option on the menu. Told her I was not happy about it at all and [b:1cwz1pjp]she was a bit dismissive and said that she would get back to me.[/b:1cwz1pjp] For €1040 for 4 vegetarian meals I would expect to be eating at the Ritz.[/quote:1cwz1pjp] Seriously, ring the General Manager and complain, before she even has a chance to come back to you. You are a paying customer, who is going to be bringing in thousands of euro worth of business in food, drink & accommodation to them. I spent years dealing with hotels for big events, and I know that it may seem underhanded to go above this person, but when she is pulling that sort of nonsense on you, I would tell the GM that you don't really have faith in how his/her venue is going to manage your wedding day, and that you are having serious doubts about them.
[quoteGah! This has actually made me angry.[/quote] I agree O:|