does anyone have a pregnancy diet they follow?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

baby-bel Posts: 929
does anyone have a pregnancy diet they follow? As in not to loose weight , I just want to be sure Im getting enough of everything
ginger nut Posts: 5989
basic common sense - a sensible diet of plenty of fresh fruit/veggies, good quality protein and sensible carbs should see you and the baby right. lots of fluids. additional red meat/spinach etc might be a good idea to prevent anaemia. avoid junk food, biscuits etc. try to avoid excessive weight gain. BUT having said all that in the early days of pukey nausea and morning sickness eat whatever you can!
Blackbird Posts: 5135
For the first few months I felt like I wasn't eating a balanced diet at all. I couldn't face a lot of things so I stuck to what I knew wouldn't make me sick. I went off meat totally and veg as well, which I always love. I remember emailing the VHI midwife service to see if they thought I should take a multi vitamin but they said all would be fine, they baby takes what it needs and if anyone is to be left short, it'll be you. There is a pregnancy diet in What to Expect but I haven't followed it. Eat as well as you can but don't get obsessed about it. I suppose the diet to follow is the food pyramid that we should be following all the time! I'm still not great with dinners in the evening and a bowl of cereal always seems more appealing.
mayday08 Posts: 704
I agree with Ginger Nut, beacuse of heart burn i had to stay away (Some of the time ) from Chocolate and ice cream, I am almost at end of pregancy and my iron levels are good think this down to eating alot of Broccoli and steak mince.
cheers, makes sense to eat healthy, I think its a bit complicated in the what to expect book, what do ye think of that book, I think its a bit all over the place but thats the one my doc recommended
Mrs Febbride Posts: 1234
Its only now I can stomach some veggies again..I just went completely off them! I really craved greasy food like chips and stuff for the past few weeks and felt so guilty but I am slowly getting good again
I wish I had cravings, maybe its too early for them and I'll get them soon !
honeybee Posts: 624
baby bel some medics believe that you only get cravings for food groups you are low in so maybe its a good sign you don't have any. My cravings have been bananas(I guess was lacking in potassium) and eggs(probably protein) and thats about it.
alton Posts: 3077
When I first got pregnant, I made up a chart (had to do something to replace my temping chart!) and marked out how many portions of each food type I was trying to eat (5 fruit/veg, 3 dairy, 3 protein, 9 whole grain, 8 glasses of water) and used that to keep track. I found it the easiest way to check that my diet was well balanced. Then the morning sickness hit and I just concentrated on finding foods that I [i:2zljc2rg]could[/i:2zljc2rg]eat to survive! I might go back to keeping track of it again but I'm not sure it's worth the bother. Some days I want loads of milk, other days it's orange juice so I think my body is probably regulating itself fairly well, and as long as I'm sensible about junk food and sweet stuff I think I'll be ok. One thing that surprised when I started researching pregnancy nutrition a bit was how very ordinary a good diet is. It makes you think about all the mixed messages we are told as women about avoiding this, that and the other.