does anyone need 2 get a letter off their church?...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

traybe Posts: 217
and if so, is it just a matter of going in and asking them for a permission letter so i can get married in the parish i lived beside up until a year and a half ago!
Lily K Posts: 643
hi traybe, As far as I know you have to get a letter of freedom from every parish you and your H2B have lived in since you were 18 :eek and it's just a matter of ringing them to ask them for this letter, it's just so they can prove you haven't been married before. Having said that I was talking to our priest just before Christmas and he said there was no need for that as he would organise for us to sign an affid david (sp!) instead cos we've rented couple of places and lived in Australia etc. And my fsil said her priest did the same for her. So if your priest is a nice guy he might save you all the hassle and do this too. HTH
mad woman Posts: 22106
I think its only every parish you have lived in for more than 6months.
missc Posts: 875
Its easy enough to get them, just ring the parish or call up to them and the priest signs and stamps letter for ya. Our priest also gave us another form to be signed in front of a commisioner of oaths if that was handier.
milis Posts: 7998
My h2b lived in America for a few years. Never went to mass while he was there, and our pp wouldn't know that he was ever gone.... Does he still need the letter of freedom, or can we get away with it *) ?
traybe Posts: 217
thanks girls for the info O-O :thnk
Trixi Belle Posts: 55
We went to see our priest who is doing the ceremony a couple of weeks ago and he explained that since some of the laws have changed that there is a form that can be used instead of the affidavid and is filled out by amember of your immediate family, brother sister mother or father, ask .your priest it has just been sent to all parishes according to our priest
[quote="Milis":344lc7nk]My h2b lived in America for a few years. Never went to mass while he was there, and our pp wouldn't know that he was ever gone.... Does he still need the letter of freedom, or can we get away with it *) ?[/quote:344lc7nk] I'd say you'd get away with it. Especially if the pp wouldn't even know he was gone!! Sure chance it, you can always the the affidavid thing signed at the last minute if worst comes to worst
[quote="Milis":mwsehjhx]My h2b lived in America for a few years. Never went to mass while he was there, and our pp wouldn't know that he was ever gone.... Does he still need the letter of freedom, or can we get away with it *) ?[/quote:mwsehjhx] I'd say you'd get away with it. Especially if the pp wouldn't even know he was gone!! Sure chance it, you can always the the affidavid thing signed at the last minute if worst comes to worst