Menu

Does IVF have Diabetes Risk?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Peaches and Cream Posts: 154
Hi All, Had a 7 week scan this week and all was fine. Joy and relief. Sims told me to make an appointment with my GP. So did that. Assumed it would just be a quick blood test. He took my blood pressure and a urine sample. Lucky I didnt use the toilet beforehand! Anyway he says 'oh there is sugar in your urine. Have you diabetes?'. I said no. Now I have autoimmune problems in my family from diabetes, thyroid and coeliac. I have a good diet. I dont eat meat, fish, dairy or wheat. So I dont have a lot to cut out. I dont eat alot of sugar? So Im worried about this. Wont have results till next week. So frustrating, one step forward and two steps back. Anyone have anything similar? Thanks, Peaches and Cream
craftyPB Posts: 2625
What had you eaten just before the appointment? Anything overly sugary?
Hi, I ate a gluten free fiber cereal with rice milk and blueberries and some honey. I did as a treat have a glass of orange juice. Thats it. Would that be ott? I generally eat that every day or porridge. No OJ. Maybe I was supposed to be fasting but I wasnt even aware he'd do a urine sample!! The juice is new for me. Ive been so good with my diet that Ive treated myself to the odd orange juice! I also drink prune juice at the moment cos the IVF meds make you constipated. Its just for 18 months now Ive been on fertility meds. Wondering do they have an effect. I hope it was just a spike and isnt an issue. Thanks, P&C
Don't stress! It's normal to have glucose in your urine if you've had something sugary - the fruit and honey could be it. You didn't need to be fasting for the appointment. You'll get BP and urine tested at every appointment. You can bring a sample of your first morning pee each time if you want, that way what you've been eating won't affect it - that's what I always did.
Hi, Thanks for that. Probably all it is so. That would be a relief because I don't eat badly so hopefully yes its a fasting thing. I must remember in future. Its all new! Cheers!! P&C
bánybride Posts: 21
Ivf would not have an affect on diabetes, the orange juice may have had it tho, also i find with some of the cerials there can be lots of sugar in them..some people are going to get diabetes its genetic and an endocrine disase, otheres its a lifestyle.. u didnt mention if you are over weight..if so controlling weight during pregnancy can very much help... best of luck to you :)
Hi, Thankfully I dont have diabetes. And no Im not overweight. So all well, Thanks, Peaches and Cream
Delighted to hear it! At 32 weeks my baby was measuring quite big for me so I was tested for diabetes and like you was delighted to hear I didn't have it! All the best for the reminder of your pregnancy!
Thanks CraftyPB. Enjoy yours too, P&C
modonovan300 Posts: 10
Same thing happened to me Peaches and Cream whereby they mentioned a high level of sugar but it was a once off