Does scared sh!tless = not ready?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

RoseDawson Posts: 1494
Hi girls, hubby and I are getting ready for ttc this summer. The folic acid is flowing and the pill has been ditched. We are both 30 and the time just seems right, we are 2 years married this summer also. However I am scared shitl€ss and just wondering if this is normal really?? I'm scared of the having to look after a child forever............. and if I can cope with all the sleepless nights and the challenges being a parent will bring. Then on the other hand I can not wait to be pregnant and just can't imagine my life never having a little one of my own. Never having a family setting of me hubby and baby. So really what I'm asking is is it normal to be this scared going into the journey that is parenthood?
mamajen Posts: 2263
scared sh1tless = your normal. It's very hard not to be scared, it's a huge life changing thing! But don't worry, most of us feel that way. I get moments of panic where I say to myself "what have I done" but I know this is what I want and that I'll be a great mother. Life will never be the same again, it will be better!
ciaraella Posts: 5323
Totally normal, DD is 6 months and i'm still terrified! It's a big deal and you will worry about lots of things but if you know you want children then i wouldn't put it off, imo parenting is a learning process and you can''t really ever be ready in advance, you learn as you go. Best of luck ttc!
BusyMom Posts: 717
Nearly 37 weeks pregnant on #2, while #1 is upstairs in his toddler bed singing the ABC and I'm still petrified! Every so often I think "oh sweet Jesus, what's going on?!" but then there are so many other times that I think "wow, this is amazing" Basically, I think you'll always be scared sh!tless, once you've gotten over the fear of actually TTCing, then you'll be petrified of every little twinge for 8 months, then terrified of the first few days...then weeks...then months...then years...I don't think the fear every goes away, I think as a mum, you just get used to it! Don't worry - go with the flow and enjoy it!
Oh girls thank you all so much for your replies, I suppose I just feel like it's such a huge step and I know my life will never be the same again. It's not like you can give them back :o0 :o0 :o0
whackywoman Posts: 1496
just had my 3rd and was scared each time. still scared even after having them and now the worries is that the 3 of them will gang up on DH and I Good luck with TTC if you do decide to have a baby. It is amazing how little sleep your body actually needs >:o)
Nov Bridie 09 Posts: 967
Ive a 17 month old and one due in Dec and I'm more scared this time around even though I know so much more about how to raise a baby now! Its definitely normal to be scared. As a first timer pamper yourself as much as you can ... Maternity aqua aerobics, pregnancy massage, etc as I wish I'd done that last time as I've no hope this time! Good things to do while pregnant are go to bf support group (if u want to bf) b4 having baby, learn how to change a nappy (if you've never done it), the tricks of dressing a newborn,etc as we tend to totally focus on the 9 months of pregnancy which kinda happen anyway iykwim!! Good luck ttc ... Motherhood really is a wonderful journey!
lush11 Posts: 2877
Having a baby is the most life changing experience anyone could ever go through and you are right to be scared sh!tless cos it IS scary but..... OMG its so worth it! My LO is 10 months and he is the light of my life. Dont get me wrong it has been really hard. Labour is nothing compared to having this little person to look after forever. Im only really getting the hang of it all now, 10 months on but it is so amazing. You have this little person that grew inside you for 9 months and every day bring something different, i can literally see him growing before my eyes and its so amazing to see how they develop - sitting up, saying 'dada' and all the rest. Hardest and most challenging thing ive ever done but i would honestly die for him, he's my life, the love you have for him is something ive never experienced in my life not even with my family or hubbie, its different! Good luck, its ok to be scared, i should have been a little more scared than i was but you'll be fine, mammies always are!
[quote="lush11":2p2s4vsj]Having a baby is the most life changing experience anyone could ever go through and you are right to be scared sh!tless cos it IS scary but..... OMG its so worth it! My LO is 10 months and he is the light of my life. Dont get me wrong it has been really hard. Labour is nothing compared to having this little person to look after forever. Im only really getting the hang of it all now, 10 months on but it is so amazing. You have this little person that grew inside you for 9 months and every day bring something different, i can literally see him growing before my eyes and its so amazing to see how they develop - sitting up, saying 'dada' and all the rest. Hardest and most challenging thing ive ever done but i would honestly die for him, he's my life, the love you have for him is something ive never experienced in my life not even with my family or hubbie, its different! Good luck, its ok to be scared, i should have been a little more scared than i was but you'll be fine, mammies always are![/quote:2p2s4vsj] What a lovely post, thanks lush11. I find alot of women who have kids make it sound like hell on earth, "oh you will never sleep agian" "no more lie in's ever" "you can never leave the house again with out a suit case" etc etc, so few tell you all the good things about becoming a mommy!! It's no wonder first timers like me do be scared sh!tless :o0
lush11 Posts: 2877
Hope it put you at ease. Dont be worried about a thing just be prepared for it being tough but you'll get there and you'll manage just fine. Always remember that it DOES get easier cos its tough at the start. EVERYTHING is a phase and there will always be light at the end of the tunnel. Trust me. Good luck with everything.