Dog barking incessantly - I'm going nuts!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rogue User Posts: 6101
Two of the houses behind us have dogs. I think one has two dogs and the other has one dog. It's difficult to see them cos they've these big kennels built and the back gardens are facing our back garden so view is not great. ANyway, the dogs constantly bark. Last summer it was bad but this year it is worse. They bark from about sunset to midnight and sometimes they wake me barking at 4 in the morning. they begin barking again at about 5.30 and bark until about 10 am - then they bark throughout the day as well. Sometimes they all bark together, sometimes its just one or two of them. Sometimes one of the dogs sounds like it is in pain, kind of sounds like a whale, it's a howling sort of noise and it goes on for ages. Anyway, I'm sick of being woken by these dogs. I don't know the people who live in these houses cos it's behind my road. I have spoken to someone who lives on their road and he told me lots of people have complained to them before but nothing is ever done. I love dogs and that' what stopped me from complaining last year but now I just don't think I can take it any more. Should I complain? Who do I complain to - the dog owners or the council or what? I'm going crazy...
streaks Posts: 3592
Barking dogs drive me crazy aswell. If you do mention it to the owners realistically what would you expect them to do? They cant actually stop the dogs barking, unless they give it away. Have you tried earplugs at night? At least it would stop them disturbing your sleep.
missengaged Posts: 175
It sounds like they're bored, I wonder are they walked enough. If they were they should be contented and wouldn't bark as much and sleep well each night. If its really that bad perhaps put a call into the DSPCA, they could make a call and check that the dogs are being looked after properly. I can't stand it when people have dogs and just leave them in the garden all day long, they need to be walked and shown attention. Imagine....if they're not being walked they are looking at the same space day in day out, hearing another dog in the garden next to them and not being allowed to see each other & play.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Oh this would drive me mad. For myself and also for the poor dogs left barking all day. There's a dog around the corner from us who HOWLS a good bit and it tears my heart apart cos he sounds like he's really in pain. First off I think complain to the people involved. A short polite note saying something like 'Sorry to bother you, but is there anyway you could stop your dog barking so early, it's been disturbing me for a while now. I know it would be difficult but anything you could do would be great' first in the door. That might just make them sit up and try SOMETHING to stop the barking. And if you get no joy, you can approach the dog warden of your local county council. The details will be on the website. Do try to approach the owners first, there could be an explanation and they could be trying their best.
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
it doesn't sound as if the owners would do anything so I would contact the dog warden at this stage. To be honest it doesn't sound as if they are good owners if the dogs are left outside constantly with no attention - do you ever seen them walking the dogs or anything? the reason i ask is if they care about the dogs they would do something to try to recify the problem but if they dogs are just a nuiscance to them they don't give a shit... at this stage though i would probably just go to the warden. what amazes me about this situation is how the noise doesn't annoy the owners themselves unless they aren't there?? If i put my dog outside on a weekend morning and go back to bed for a few hours, she will sometimes start whining after a couple of hours on her own. as soon as i hear it i am up, out of my bed and down to her as the noise breaks my heart!
[quote="lilmrsgiggles":2dczdyj2]Barking dogs drive me crazy aswell. If you do mention it to the owners realistically what would you expect them to do? They cant actually stop the dogs barking, unless they give it away. Have you tried earplugs at night? At least it would stop them disturbing your sleep.[/quote:2dczdyj2] I know - I can't really expect much. I suppose I was thinking the same as ms engaged; that they are being neglected. Surely if a dog is happy they wouldn't bark like this? We had a dog as kids and he never barked like that. They could bring the dogs in at night maybe? I don't know... But I do know I am ready to explode if I don't do something!
[quote="imperialprincess":1i75eyut]it doesn't sound as if the owners would do anything so I would contact the dog warden at this stage. To be honest it doesn't sound as if they are good owners if the dogs are left outside constantly with no attention - do you ever seen them walking the dogs or anything? the reason i ask is if they care about the dogs they would do something to try to recify the problem but if they dogs are just a nuiscance to them they don't give a sugar... at this stage though i would probably just go to the warden. what amazes me about this situation is how the noise doesn't annoy the owners themselves unless they aren't there?? If i put my dog outside on a weekend morning and go back to bed for a few hours, she will sometimes start whining after a couple of hours on her own. as soon as i hear it i am up, out of my bed and down to her as the noise breaks my heart![/quote:1i75eyut] I check the house at night when they start and I never see any lights on but that is only the view from back of house so they could be in the front. I was thinking they must never be home cos seriously this would keep you awake esp if it was in your back garden!
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
[quote="lilmrsgiggles":24vivdm5]Barking dogs drive me crazy aswell. If you do mention it to the owners realistically what would you expect them to do? They cant actually stop the dogs barking, unless they give it away. [/quote:24vivdm5] there are ways of stopping dogs barking such as exercise and mental stimulation to relieve boredom, stimulation through feeding with treat balls, training them out of the habit of barking and anti-barking collars which give the dog a wee spray each time they bark. A dog most definitely can be trained out of barking but it takes alot of effort so i can't see this crew bothering to do it.
Positano Posts: 69
I just moved out of my house in Swords and have been spending a lot of time there during the day getting it ready for the new tenants. I thought i was going to go INSANE with the amount of barking that was going on. My house is small with a very small back garden and the people behind us have large dogs with no obvious room for the dog(s) to run around. Totally cruel. I thought out of there I'd never get. If my tenants complain I'm going to go around to the house and leave a polite note. Failing that I'm contacting the dog warden.
[quote="Positano":1930mmta]I just moved out of my house in Swords and have been spending a lot of time there during the day getting it ready for the new tenants. I thought i was going to go INSANE with the amount of barking that was going on. My house is small with a very small back garden and the people behind us have large dogs with no obvious room for the dog(s) to run around. Totally cruel. I thought out of there I'd never get. If my tenants complain I'm going to go around to the house and leave a polite note. Failing that I'm contacting the dog warden.[/quote:1930mmta] I live in swords too! Could be the same bloody neighbours! Kaz - do you really think a note is ok - I am so scared to knock on their door in case they have a go at me so was thinking a note but then thought it was a bit cowardly...