Menu

Dog Food Ingredients Question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

keepitsimple Posts: 966
Just wondering if anyone is any good at reading dog food ingredients? I find the whole thing very confusing!! If you can what do you think of the below list of ingredients? Does it sound like good food? I have a senior dog who has stiff joints (if that makes any difference). Thanks Ingredients: Salmon (min 30%), rice (min 16%), oats, maize, unmolassed beet pulp, chicken meal, potato, peas, alfalfa, dicalcium phosphate, full fat linseed, yeast, carrot, charcoal, glucosamine, milk thistle, seaweed, nettle, marigold, blackcurrant extract, yucca extract, thyme, beetroot, tomato, peppermint, fennel, paprika, turmeric, dandelion, ginger, fenugreek, rosemary extract, oregano & aloe vera (min 0.4% herbs, min 4% vegetables). . Analysis: Protein 22%, Oil 5.0%, Fibre 6.5%, Ash 6.0%
Hbombadero Posts: 1960
Oats, maize/corn and rice are just fillers so they shouldn't really be on the first 3 ingredients. Ingredients are listed by order of their quantity. I can't remember what quantity stuff our preferred brand has but it's called James Wellbeloved if you want to Google it. I find our dogs' "output" is a lot less and a lot easier to clean when they're on the good food.
thanks for that. I want to make sure he is on good food but without having to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for it!! I will look up James Welbeloved ingredients and cost aswell! O-O
OK just looked up James Wellbelloved senior and it has: Ingredients: Rice, ground whole barley, ocean white fish meal, whole linseed, fish stock, peas, olive oil, alfalfa meal, fish oil, natural seaweed, chicory pulp, potassium chloride, parsley, nettle, chicory extract, sodium chloride, calcium carbonate, glucosamine, chondroitin, yucca extract Minimum levels: Fish (19%), rice (26%), barley (15%), linseed (4%), fish stock (3%), alfalfa (1%), seaweed (0.5%), yucca extract (0.02%), chicory extract (0.1%), glucosamine (0.0275%), chondroitin (0.0225%), parsley (0.1%), nettle (0.1%) to me this looks worse or am I reading it wrong again??? the 3rd ingredient is fish surely this should be 1st?? help...
Hbombadero Posts: 1960
Ours are young, not sure if there's a difference in the senior brand? Once the main ingredients aren't corn I think it's ok. Maybe I was wrong on the first 3 ingredients, sorry. I'd definitely recommend, it's cheaper than royal canin and it definitely beats other cheaper food on the poo front. Pedigree chum and brandy dry food are just rubbish, it's awful to scoop up after they've had it. If you buy in pet stop they do a loyalty card so you get money off every few bags.
denlo Posts: 124
Redmills do a really good range and it's made here. I feed mine "Worker" (working dogs) but they have a pet one too. I also put a tablespoon of Olive Oil in once or twice a week - helps with their coat.
Funwedding Posts: 190
Hi We use Eden dog food its 80%protein and 20% fruit and veg and no cereals or bulking agents. Its amazing stuff and not expensive no more than the pet shop. We get it from Titan Pet Foods. You do not give the same weight to the dogs as its more filling so it goes a lot further. Its great stuff I would highly recommend. Ingredients: Chicken, 19%, Chicken 18% (from Dried Chicken), Salmon, 15%, Herring 12.5% (from Dried Herring), Potato 12%, Sweet Potato 5%, Chicken Fat 4.5%, Duck 4% (from Dried Duck), Whole Egg 2.5% (from Dried Egg), Chicken Liver 2.5%, White Fish 2%, Pea Fibre 2%, Lucerne, Chickpea, Mineral & Vitamins, Carrot, Spinach, Apple, Joint Support Pack (Glucosamine (341mg/Kg), MSM (341mg/Kg) & Chondroitin (240mg/Kg)), Prebiotic FOS (500mg/Kg), Aniseed & Fenugreek, Rosehips, Camomile, Burdock Root, Thyme, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Sage, Seaweed & Cranberry.
MissFizz Posts: 71
I did a lot of research on food as we thought our dog had food allergies (turns out he is allergic to dustmites - nightmare). Anyway the best kibble I found that you can get in a shop is Barking Heads brand which Pet World stock. He has one meal of that and the other pre prepared raw food from natures menu. This come frozen and you just thaw what you need each night. Very cheap too. He thrives on the raw we just keep kibble in his diet for when he is at the dog minder etc.
atina Posts: 2240
we have a westie who suffers with awful skin allergies! Its common enough with westies. We did lots of research and lots of different trials with many different dog foods. The best we found and have stuck with for around 7 years now is Origen. Its a canadian dog food! We used to have to buy it online on zooplus but you can get it now in Equipet or any of the bigger stores. We still buy it online as we have a good rewards system now as we have been buying off them for years. We buy the biggest sack which i think is 13kg and it lasts a few months. Her skin improved so much since we started her on it and she is now off all skin medications a few years so really recommend it