Dog with amnesia!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

doneit Posts: 321
Our dog is driving me crazy lately. We take him for his usual walk every evening – but we are only in the door about half an hour and he is up and around looking to go out again – it’s as if he has forgotten that he has just been out?? I know he is only looking for attention – but its driving me nuts. Especially if I am trying to watch something on telly?? We walk him about a half an hour in the morning, about 10-15 minutes at lunch time and in the evenings he gets a good 40-50 mins. It used to be plenty for him. He is 4 now, so its not like he is a puppy. Do you think its just a habit? He comes over to me or my husband and starts licking and carrying on – so in the end one of us will normally give in and take him for a five minute walk. I think if we keep giving in and taking him, he will expect it all the time. What do you think?
justforfunsies Posts: 2502
just wondering is he neutered?? could there be female dogs in the area in heat?? that was just the thought that popped into my head....could be totally wrong. sounds like he has loads of exercise though.
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
If you give in he will expect it all the time...I know its hard especially with the puppy dog eyes looking at you,but you seem to give him alot of exercise anyway....these little guys control us :lol:
AVENGER Posts: 4595
My eldest dog is like that - her harness and lead is hung on the kitchen door and even after we come back from what is usually an hour long walk she will st under the lead whining for another walk. When she gets fed up of that she usually tries to bounce her squeaky ball off my head until I move off the couch and play with her.
SarahS Posts: 550
I'd suggest not giving in to him or buy him a treadmill!! :lol: Sounds like he gets loads of walks anyway, so don't feel guilty. My mum and dad's dog is obsessed with stones and rocks, she has loads of toys but goes to the bottom of the garden and hauls the biggest rock up to the house in her mouth and drops it on your feet to play with her. She will do this all day every day and never gets tired even though no one throws them for her (obviously!!) talk about being obsessed :roll:
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
OMG our dog has a problem with stones/rocks too-when we walk him we go to a river and on numerous occasions he won't get out of the water until he finds the stone DH has thrown in.He loves the water DH has had to go in and get him after 25mins...DH is then like a bulldog as he is soaked up to his knees :lol:
AVENGER Posts: 4595
Jazzy seeks them out and digs them up on the beach - its a bit creepy the way she senses them out.
SarahS Posts: 550
[quote:2pnw0f8j]OMG our dog has a problem with stones/rocks too-when we walk him we go to a river and on numerous occasions he won't get out of the water until he finds the stone DH has thrown in.He loves the water DH has had to go in and get him after 25mins...DH is then like a bulldog as he is soaked up to his knees :lol:[/quote:2pnw0f8j] That's so weird, mum's dog has an issue with the river too, everytime mum walks her she takes off towards the river, dives in and won't come out, just sits there, my mum comes back from the walk soaked most days because no matter what shouting she does, the dog just sits there. Lots of swearing and saying she is never walking her again and next day same thing!! :roll:
doneit Posts: 321
He is neutered - so chasing after doggie skirt isn't the issue I dont think!! He is in the house on his own while we are at work, that is why we give him so much exersise. While I dont want to give out to him, I dont want to give in to him either! He is a real whinger any way - doesn't get his own way and he starts crying. He is a real softie - we've been blamed for this - we have him totally spoilt. I met my sister and her dog last night, and we walked for an hour, with the two dogs chasing and running around for the hour - he was fine when he came home - exhausted and didn't look to go out any more. Thats why I think he isn't getting enough exersise. When you really tire him out he stops. I suppose in one way its good - we get the same exersise as him - but we can't do it every night!!! He is totally running our house!!
*gone* Posts: 4785
My mam's dog at home is like that ... the front door could be open all day for him to go in and out as he pleases, and he'll stay indoors. Then come 10 o clock at night, he is whining to get out ... it's just habit with him now. It's fine in the dry weather cos he can sit outside the front of the house and watch the world go by, but in the wet weather he comes in like he has been bog-diving or something!! I am strict with him and i'll let him out just the once, but when he comes in again, that's it, no more out. I am the tough one, all the rest of them cave into his whining and meowing!