Dogs and your garden!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MRSMC06 Posts: 154
We went and bought some plants last wkend and went and planted them all to come home and find that our little friend has only gone and dug them all up! Any ideas on how to keep your pooches away from your garden plants?
*Muffin* Posts: 7243
There are bottles of "Dog Off" or something like that in Woodies. Also, there was a phase years ago of filling up water bottles and scattering them in your garden, it apparently puts the dog of peeing in your flower beds..
ohsohappybride Posts: 3476
[quote="MuffinM":11c3lsho]There are bottles of "Dog Off" or something like that in Woodies. Also, there was a phase years ago of filling up water bottles and scattering them in your garden, it apparently puts the dog of peeing in your flower beds..[/quote:11c3lsho] I heard of this phase too...apparently something to do with seeing their reflection in the water bottle.... :o0
rio Posts: 995
the water bottles are for cats, dogs will just play with them. i've planted plants and then put decorative around them, stops the digging, but i once came home to all plants pulled fully out of ground and found them in the dogs kennels, little monkeys. so now i have 4 big pots about 2ft high filled with stones and compost and plant big plants in them, so far so good and have hanging baskets up high.
lopats Posts: 692
theres a thing called catapult for cats its in a spray as well ive heard sprinkling pepper will keep them out of it tho that might be for cats as well! we had to put up trellis away from the wall if you know what i mean and create a kinda sunken flower bed.
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Those spray products are shite! I found our guy hates nail varnish remover,even try put a bit on a leaf or a few dripple around the clay....in the past our guy ate or chewed Plants 2 Clothes lines Sun lounger Table and 4 chairs Bench BBQ (I actually cried when this happened)
Princess Cinders Posts: 11475
[quote="Dolly Dora":3ekledw2]Those spray products are shite! I found our guy hates nail varnish remover,even try put a bit on a leaf or a few dripple around the clay....in the past our guy ate or chewed Plants 2 Clothes lines Sun lounger Table and 4 chairs Bench BBQ (I actually cried when this happened)[/quote:3ekledw2] Your dog has some strange tastes Dolly :o0
*gone* Posts: 4785
Mom had big problems with this when our fella was a pup ... she had just planted a load of flower bulbs, and looked out the window a few days later to see that all the bulbs had been dug out! He was nearly sent packing to the dogs home that day!! She covered over the beds with a plastic garden meshing (green), to stop him getting at the beds. Then of course he found ways under it (cos he was small) but couldn't find his way out so you'd see this little white bundle all caught up in meshing, covered in earth, fighting to get back out again! :o0 Perhaps ask in your local garden centre - they are bound to have had customers with this problem before.
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
[quote="Princess Cinders":3bb635ri][quote="Dolly Dora":3bb635ri]Those spray products are shite! I found our guy hates nail varnish remover,even try put a bit on a leaf or a few dripple around the clay....in the past our guy ate or chewed Plants 2 Clothes lines Sun lounger Table and 4 chairs Bench BBQ (I actually cried when this happened)[/quote:3bb635ri] Your dog has some strange tastes Dolly :o0[/quote:3bb635ri] It apparently like when a baby teeths,they will try chew anything! He got at our table and chairs in the kitchen too,full of teeth marks and we only had it about 10months-little devil!
rio Posts: 995
Nail Varnish Remover, why would you do that? if your dog goes ahead and eats it the nail varnish remover can affect his health seriously. why have a dog if your going to harm it? O:|