Dole question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

roma2011 Posts: 1208
Hey all, I'm gonna be moving home from the UK shortly to finally live with H2B :lvs Over in the UK I've been in full time education on a one year course. Prior to that I was working full time, and they kept me on part-time distance while I was in the UK, but yesterday I got word that they had to let me go :o( I've had a quick look for jobs but there is absolutely nothing in my field (legal, but not a solicitor) in the part of Ireland that I am moving to. Actually, change that to nothing at all, regardless of the field! So I'm looking at possibly having to sign on until I find work. However H2B thinks I won't qualify as I've been out of the country since last September and won't have enough recent stamps (or something). I'm really so clueless about all this. Anyone able to shed some light on the subject? If I dont qualify for payment then I'm just going to have to stay in the UK and try get work here, and I really don't want to stay any longer than I have to over here. :o(
sugarplum Posts: 430
Hi Well I have done something similar- worked and lived in northern ireland and lost my job at christmas- I then moved to the SOuth- and was told that my last stamp paid had to be in the Republic- therefore i am not eligibile- only route I could go down was the means test- which I didn't bother with as they take in partners income if living together and I think if he is over 379 euro a week u will not be eligible- really not fair after all the stamps I have paid. But I was told yestersday- not too sure how true it is but u might be able to claim job seekers allowance from Uk- as this is where u paid ur stamps, I have to suss this out HTH
shoppergal Posts: 1179
For claims made in 2009 the reckonable tax year is 2007 so as long as you made 39 PRSI contributions in 07 you'll be fine. www.citizensinformation.ie has loads of really useful info on job seekers benefit.
roma2011 Posts: 1208
Thanks for that ladies! I think I was a bit unclear in what I originally wrote. I was working full time in Ireland, and it's the Irish crowd that kept me on on a part-time distance basis, but not as an employee. I haven't worked many hours for them anyway, but it's still a blow to be let go as I was hoping to go back full time with them again after my course finished up. That citizens information website is great though, so hopefully H2B is wrong and I'll be entitled to something. Really not looking forward to signing on though, hate the thoughts of going home and telling people what I'm at O:|
originalwoowoo Posts: 867
[quote="shoppergal":29apzmnb]For claims made in 2009 the reckonable tax year is 2007 so as long as you made 39 PRSI contributions in 07 you'll be fine. www.citizensinformation.ie has loads of really useful info on job seekers benefit.[/quote:29apzmnb] This is correct but as sugarplum said you must have at least one Irish contribution paid here for Jobseekers Benefit