Domino 12 week appointment

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jjewel Posts: 691
Got my letter with appointments for the Domino scheme today, and my first appointment is at 12 weeks (not until end Nov). I will probably give them a call nearer the time but just wondering if anyone can tell me what normally happens at this appoint with Domino? They said its a booking appointment, and that they will do tests to make sure you are eligible for the scheme? Curiosity is getting the better of me! Also wondering if DH should come to the appointment or not?
Princess_Jess Posts: 445
jjewel - a booking appt is usually where they take all your details, health history, family history etc. there will be blood tests done aswell. hth x
wollysocks Posts: 1773
hi jjewel, I acn only tell you my experience-on the booking visit- the midwife came to my house so my partner was there. She took full medical details from me.-full history.and about any family history of various conditions...the usual questions you might expect...I also had to give her a urine sample and she did a blood test....nothing difficult.and she explained the Domino system to me...its certainly nothing to be concerend about... :wv
Thanks for the quick replies...... letter says we will have to go to hospital so not a home visit for us. Not really worried about it at all - just curious as to what happens! This is our first so totally unchartered territory. Only thing I'm thinking about is that I might not meet the criteria to be accepted, apparently they are quite strict. Haven't really had any heath problems but am a bit overweight, BMI is around 28 and think 'normal' is under 25 so hopefully that won't cause an issue.
i didnt think anything like that came into it. i always thought the domino was done under the area you live in! hope you can do it x
Princess Jess it does come under the area, we're about half a mile from hosp so that was fine. The midwife asked a good few questions like where we live, health history etc when I was booking in with them and they were fine so fingers crossed! Hubbie is still a bit annoyed with me for not losing more weight before I got pregnant (for health reasons) so just worried he'll be at the appointment and if she says it'll negatively impact on anything he wont' be pleased!
well when the midwife calls you in your dh has to stay outside (well thats they way the coombe work) i asked why this was routine and i was told that its just incase the relationship is dodgy like abusive or anything. you need to be able to talk to your midwife in confidence. i'm waffling now!! anyway... least when ur getting booked in your dh might not be in the same room.
medea49 Posts: 324
My husband didn't have to leave the room, he was made very welcome (I'm doing the Domino at HS, but my Domino midwife appointments are in St Michael's in Dun Laoghaire). At my 12 week appointment they took a history, bloods, urine, blood pressure, weighed me, asked me lots of questions etc. Also did a short physical exam where she measured position of the uterus. Basically she got a chart started, and explained the way the Domino scheme would work. My BMI would be at the higher end of the scale too, but that didn't seem to disqualify me-- I think they make a calculated judgment. Good luck!
Thanks all for the info...... great to hear from people who've been through it. Having an early scan in three weeks so thats the first milestone I'm looking towards!