Dont want dad to walk me down the aisle(long post)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

nearlythere07 Posts: 145
Hi All, I have a very bad relationship with my father. we have not talked in a good few years. bar hello and goodbye. He is the most ignorant selfish man i know, left my mam to rear 5 kids on her own with no support financially. My problem is....i dont want him to walk me down the aisle, he has not done anything to deserve this job. But i dont want to cause any issues on the day. So if i ask my mam, he will cause hassel on the day, i know he will. He gets off on crying on the shoulders of people that dont know the whole story....saying things like "I reared that girl and she has no respect for me". I have heard him at this. Gets on my wick. I was also thinking of maybe walking half way down the aisle on my own, and my h2b waits half way down the aisle and meets me? What do you all think, is this a good option. Any opinions\Suggestions... Thanks
Hokey Cokey Posts: 4816
I was in the exact same position as you.......so DH waited at the door of the church for me.....along with loads of family and friends which was lovely....and then we walked up the aisle together. It was so nice
great, and it worked out great for you? thats what i will do. Its the only thing i have been worrying about, makes my stomach churn when i think of it. I am just not able to forgive him. i have tried and he just makes no effort.
Bridezilla07 Posts: 2237
Im so sorry to hear about the predicament you're in nearlythere but NW Gal's suggestion sounds lovely. The day is about you and your h2b and it will be one of the happiest days of your lives. Don't let this selfish man get in the way of that. Happy planning :wv
Yep your right....my choice :wv
Mrs plaza Posts: 3031
How about your mother give you away , she reared you after all? Another option :xxx best of luck
i would like her to and I have asked her and she said she would not feel comfortable doing it. I understand why, Its a awkward situation.
[quote="Mersey":194pdoqo]How about your mother give you away , she reared you after all? Another option :xxx best of luck[/quote:194pdoqo] I think she doesnt want to ask her mam as it would cause trouble and be obvious that her father wasnt doing it......that's exactly how I felt. My attitude was it was our wedding and we would do what we wanted! There was not a chance in hell my father was going to walk me up the aisle. My mam was quite happy with it as she just wanted the day to go well for us. Lots of people commented on how nice and different and relaxed it was
Are you my sister Hokey Cokey?
[quote="nearlythere07":kkkfy493]Are you my sister Hokey Cokey?[/quote:kkkfy493] :o0 :o0 :o0 Maybe.....does your father feel that not only should he walk you up the aisle, but also make a speech????? O:| I nipped that one on the head straight away. We didnt have a big top table......just us and the bridal party. Parents and priests sat with the guests. something you might want to consider as well. Actually I hope you arent my sister because if you are, expect a phone call from the f*cker 2 days before wedding saying he's not coming at all and its all your fault O:|