Downs Syndrome testing

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Fluffy stuff Posts: 25
Hi girls, I am 8 weeks at the moment and I'm wondering what the story is with Downs Syndrome testing, and whether anyone has been offered this, or had it? I heard from a friend that the consultant I'm using doesn't do the testing, and that if anyone wants it, they need to get it done in Dublin. I'm wondering if this is something that people normally have, or not? My friend in the UK had the triple test as part of the normal pregnancy screening, and I'm a little worried we're not being given the same. Can anyone tell me if they've had it or are planning to have it? And also has anyone had the nuchal fold scan? I'm confused... and need some guidance!! Thanks girls... :thnk
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
My friend was tested in the Rotunda for a range of chromosomal abnormalities but had to insist on it because her consultant didn't feel she was a high risk.
Thanks for your reply! Do you know if your friend had to organise that privately? I am guessing so if her consultant wasn't keen for her to have the tests done.
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
[quote="Fluffy stuff":10bbs4zi]Thanks for your reply! Do you know if your friend had to organise that privately? I am guessing so if her consultant wasn't keen for her to have the tests done.[/quote:10bbs4zi] I doubt it. I'll ask her tomorrow.
Thanks very much!!
Hepburn Posts: 4081
It's definitely not standard. Probably because abortion isn't legal here as it is in the UK. I don't know anyone that has had it or asked for it.
nelly Posts: 1875
is there a reason why you feel you want this test? If there was a risk i would hope your doc would have been a bit better with information...
workingmom Posts: 3429
Nelly, I think it's no one's business why Fluffy wants this test done, she is an adult and free to decide for herself, as regards risk, there is a risk of DS at any age, it's just with increasing maternal age the odds shorten. I'm PMing you Fluffy
Hepburn Posts: 4081
Didn't mean to offend Mrs GK. The OP seemed to wonder why it isn't offered as standard here as in the UK and the reason is quite obvious.
gogglebox Posts: 910
oops... posted in wrong thread!