Dress fitting/alterations - am I too late, Arrgh!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kk2011 Posts: 67
I went to my dress fitting 2 weeks ago and have another one this Wed. The seamstress was to take up the length of the dress. However, I ordered the same size as the sample in the shop 6 months ago, yet even though I had lost a stone between trying on the sample, and getting my own dress in, she was saying it still fit. Now, I didn't think it was half as flattering as when it was more snug (ironically!) but I didn't have anyone with me so she convinced me it was fine. Anyway roll on 2 weeks and something majors happened weight wise and it's just dropping off me I've lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks. So it's deffo going to be too loose now. Have I left it too late to get it altered do you think or will I be on the pie and chips diet for the next 10 days? My mother says I am the only bride she has ever heard of who was thinking of putting on weight for the dress :duh: Am I just going mad? Help!
wifeyttc Posts: 2507
So your wedding is in 10 days is it? I would ring the bridal shop and explain the situation with your concerns about your weight and that you would feel more comfortable if you could make an appointment to get the dress altered again.it shouldn't take her too long to alter it properly.I wouldn't leave that shop until you are 100% happy this is your big day and you shouldn't feel that you have eat like a pig for 2 weeks to fit into your dress! Did you plan on losing that much weight in such a short time or is it due to stress.I hope you get sorted.you will look fab on your big day! :o)ll
mrswifey Posts: 775
Hey, It's not too late at all - they can do alterations really quickly if they have to. For my wedding, I bought the dress in May, I think it was. It fit me at the weight i was, but I knew I wanted to lose some. I Put it away and didn't think about it again for ages. I didn't put in the effort to lose any weight until the couple of months before the wedding. Lost about 1.5 stone and it really was less than 2 weeks before the wedding that I copped the dress mighn't fit!!! Que me scouring the golden pages and wol for recommendations for someone to alter the dress - got a taxt there one morn, they fitted me and I went back only a day or two later and it was all done and sorted - with less than 24 hours to go before I had to head down to Cork for the wedding (was still about 4 days away from the ceremony) So, it can be done! And it should be done, no reason at all not to have it exactly as you want it - and this time, make sure you bring someone. Good luck!
kk2011 Posts: 67
Thanks girls that's great to hear what you have to say about it, feel much better now. Have my appointment tomorrow and am bringing my mother and she's under instructions to be honest! I didn't mean to lose the weight necessarily the last few weeks, have been trying to lose some for the last 6 months, its been coming off extremely slowly but I started eating low carbs a few weeks ago and it's just flying off now. If only I'd have tried it a few months ago I'd be wasted away by now! Mrswifey, I might ask you what alterer you used, if you don't mind, in case I don't get sorted tomorrow? Thanks x