Dress shopping - how soon is too soon?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

disney08 Posts: 575
Hey all, First things first we're not getting married till next summer. However, we went to look at a venue at the weekend and I'm really wanting to get in the wedding buzz by doing a little dress hunting. Did anyone get any funny looks from the shop assistants for going in so early? I'm not looking to buy just yet, but I'd love to see what they look like on! Is this silly?? Also, does everyone bring a friend/family member with them? It'll just be me on my own as my bridesmaid doesn't live in Dublin.
Gummiebear Posts: 2911
Go on nd have a look at least you will get an idea of what style you want!!!! Defo bring a friend it will make the trip more fun :wv :wv
Asics Posts: 1935
Its never too early to start looking you will have a brill time make sure you try on all types of dresses as loads of people have gone for the exact opposite of what they thought they would all go for. I went on my own & I don't have a date set yet were thinking of May next year all my BM's work most weekends but when I found one I liked I brought 2 of them down to see it to get there opion otherwise I could be waiting all year to get a day that suits everybody. Id say go for it & enjoy the shopping :wv
Doll Face Posts: 3721
Its never to soon to go shopping wedding dresses are often bought a year and a half before the big day.. Happy shopping :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
macsmissus Posts: 928
Go for it...it's great fun *) I started a few weeks ago and I'm not getting married for another year! This way you're not in a rush to find anything so can take your time and find the one :o)ll :o)ll
feb08bride Posts: 656
i wouldn't say you are looking too soon, i started about 13 months nd at that stage my mum and bm's were giving out taht i was leving it too late so i'd say if you wnat to start looking do,
disney08 Posts: 575
Thanks girls, I might work up the nerve to have a look this afternoon since I have a few hours on my hands. I'd love to bring my bridesmaid but unfortunately it'll be a while before she's in Dublin again. My friends seem to work mad hours and my sis-in-law is 9months pregnant. Fiance's mother would probably love it but she have to travel 150miles... eh no! Oddly enough, fiance himself would be the best opinion and handiest person to bring!!! I might start off easy and check out Monsoon and Debenhams first, work my way up to the big names *)
macsmissus Posts: 928
If you're looking in Dublin, try Bridal Wraptures (Stephens Green) and Anabel Rose (Wicklow Street) I found both had a fab selection of dresses :lvs
Skittlespink Posts: 406
GO for it! Im not getting married for 2 years and Ive already been trying on!!
papillon Posts: 1305
I'd say go for it too.. I went looking around May June 2008 for my May 09 wedding. I bought the 3rd dress I tried on!