Menu

DS hates Tummy Time

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Diddums Posts: 204
Been trying to have a daily Tummy Time with DS but he HATES it so much - he doesn't roar, just whimpers as if he can't understand why I'm doing this :o( I read somewhere to put the baby on a pillow so they can see things but I can't seem to make it work (he keeps burying his head in the pillow or floor) so was wondering if anyone has come up with any tips for making it better ?
LMR Posts: 1925
My DD hates it too. I find the key is keeping it short. I literally do two minutes here and there and also find that if H or I put her on our chests and lie at a slight incline she'll lift her head. Keep going with the cushion it definitely helps just keep your eye on him!! Once he starts to get more control he'll probably grow to like it more
babybliss Posts: 437
Our DS hated tummy time too & still isn't fond of it now at 3.5 months. I put him on his tummy couple of times a day, but only for short periods of time. We also make sure we sit on the couch with him on our chests or on our laps in the evenings too and he has great neck control now. Try not to worry, your little one will get to like it later on a bit more :) DH also give him tummy time on our bed in the mornings, which DS seems to like now :)
neeov Posts: 4256
My dd hated it too, we just kept it short and not too often. She is 5 months and rolls over fine, sticks her head up etc. She is trying to crawl... Don't worry too much about it.
alton Posts: 3077
The point of tummy time is to strengthen the neck muscles, and if you think about the position that you are trying to get them into on the floor (back arched, head up, looking forward) you can achieve the same thing by playing aeroplane, laying them across your knees, or cuddling them on your chest...........and it's waaay more fun.
sinion Posts: 6050
Another place to try it is to lie them on the bed close to the edge and you sit of the floor and chat to them and get their attention. Having you below them encourages them to raise their head and it's much more comfortable. And definitely keep it short, as soon as they start to whimper/cry etc then stop, was told all this by the osteopath we took DS to.
Service Finder
thats amore Posts: 714
Like the others said keep it short. I rolled a cellular blanket into a sort of sausage and kept that under her chest so that she could raise her head comfortably and she hadn't too much weight on her tummy. A few toys scattered in front help too.
ellee Posts: 666
[quote="alton":3244vv3k]The point of tummy time is to strengthen the neck muscles, and if you think about the position that you are trying to get them into on the floor (back arched, head up, looking forward) you can achieve the same thing by playing aeroplane, laying them across your knees, or cuddling them on your chest...........and it's waaay more fun.[/quote:3244vv3k] That is true but it's also to strengthen their upper chest and arms so they can roll over! We made this mistake a bit and it's only since I started giving him actual tummy time on the floor that he can hold himself up on his elbows. He hates it too tho. As others said keep it short, they do get to like it a bit more as they get stronger *)
Emomc Posts: 2069
My LO's main tummy time is in the morning when I am dressing her for the day. I lay her on her changing mat on top of her chest of drawers to do this and then for her TT I turn her over and I go on my hunkers in front of her and look up at her. I find this really helps her enjoy her TT as she can see me and it also eggs her on to push herselp up high so she can see me well
evenstar Posts: 367
We used to call it baby torture cos she hated it so much. She enjoyed it much more when we'd put her on the table and sit at it so she could see us. Obviously have to be very vigilant with this option in case they decide to try to roll over :-) evenstar