Duties of a Bridesmaid?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

M2B Posts: 107
Hi girls, I've been asked by my best friend to do bridesmaid this October and was just wondering is there any particular duties I have to do? A girl in work say's I have to pay for the hair, make up etc... and the hen night. Is there anything else I have to do besides this? Sorry if I sound stupid but it's my first time and none of my friends have done bridesmaid before as we all just got engaged either this year or last year :-8 Thanks :wv
Hokey Cokey Posts: 4816
What??? Thats ridiculous. As a bridesmaid you usually dont pay for your own hair/make up, nevermind anyone elses. You dont pay for the hen....everyone except the bride pays their own. You organise the hen alright. Other jobs might include: Going dress shopping the bride Helping with invites (I didnt ask my bms to do this though and didnt do it when I was a bm) Going to rehearsal Helping the bride on the day
beatingmyselfintoadress Posts: 2387
Yeah, I completely agree with Hokey cokey. My bridesmaid is organising the hen night and doing a few other bits but I wouldnt dream of asking her to pay for anything. Don't let anyone expect you to do that! *)
Hokey Cokey Posts: 4816
You might pay for your shoes, or extras like nails or tan or hair/make up trials....things that the bride isnt asking you do/wear
lil-star Posts: 3149
my sister is bm and im so mean and made her do loads, i keep digging at her that shes not doing enough!! shes helped me do my guest book, dress shopping, party planning and helped me with my invites, oh ya and we made our wedding cake toppers together, were close anyways :o)ll
gerbil Posts: 3528
You don't pay for your dress or shoes. Usually but not always the bride pays for your hair and makeup. Other things like fake tan and stuff are really up to the bride. You usually help the bride organise things like the hen night; you are expected to give support (listen to all the endless discussions on dresses, napkins, place settings, table names.... :o0 ) on the day turn up be supportive help whereever you can and tell her she looks fab. Make sure you are around her in case she needs makeup, repairs etc. It;s ocnsidered bad form in a BM to piddle off and get drunk the mintue the meal is over O-O pretty much it akaik...a lot depends on whether the bride needs practical help or just moral support!
Little Miss Naughty Posts: 1046
I'm having 1 BM, my sister. Im not getting married until 2009 and she's already organising my hen with a friend, it's a surprise so they won't tell me what's planned, which scares me as I'm a bit of a control freak... I haven't thought about it too much but we would expect to pay for: Dress Hair/Makeup (prob have BM, MOB and myself all done together) Shoes Bag (definately) as i expect her to carry round things for me on the day :o0 Room - prob not, we only live 10 mins down road so not sure if any of my family will want to stay over, easier to fall home :o0 Tan/Nails/Accessories - i won't be paying for. Although as BM pressie i'll might get her necklace or something
Mama2 Posts: 1230
I have 3 bridesmaids and I'm going to pay for their dresses and jewellery, hair and makeup on the day and a pressie. I won't pay for their tan and nails though. I don't expect anything from them except a bit of moral support.
Diamond Diva Posts: 9
Yeah bride will be paying for your dress and make-up and possibly shoes, depending on what she wants to do. Well that what ill be doing anyway. im honoured to have my friends there for me as BM's on the day so dont be worrying you wont have to ay for those things and the hen night will be a big resonsibility for ya but also fun xx
WilmaFlintstone Posts: 1318
The bride will pay for dress, shoes etc Here's a few things you'll prebably end up doing: You calm her down when she's stressed out Plan Hen Night Shop with her for dress Sign Register on day Poss carry her bag with make up etc in it Fix dress & make up as necessary throughout the day Have a laugh and enjoy the day!