Dying your hair while pregnant?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lovin motherin Posts: 175
I know this has probably been asked a thousand and one times but I need to find out!! Im just over 11 weeks pregnant and I could really do with dying my hair. Is it safe? I have brown hair and I want to put a brown coloured hair dye in! What do you think?
Emme Posts: 4735
I reckon it's the most common question! But in fairness it is important! I asked my OB and he said fire away. Like you I'm brown haired and put in my usual dye. I've dyed my hair twice already. Once in first trimester, once in this one. :wv
Crostini Posts: 1105
think the generalrule of thumb on this is no. this is due to the fact that hair dye contains carcinogenic chemicals which can enter your bloodstream through your scalp and potentially effect your baby. i've read that the chemical free hair dyes that you can buy in health shops are safer. i have my granny in asking her hairdresser today for me! edited to say: just found this on VHI website. [url:38txzmsk]http://www.vhi.ie/hfiles/hf-382.jsp[/url:38txzmsk]
Emme Posts: 4735
I would say the rule of thumb is yes firstforus - anytime it's been asked on here the majority who have asked docs have been told to fire ahead.
sorry i've read the opposite! but sure i think it's down to a personal decision.
I read that link for the vhi website and it says that semi permanent dyes are ok. This is what I use so I think I might go ahead and dye my hair!! I could wait for another week or 2 and then at least I would be over my 12 week mark!
yeah i think thats sensible. they seem to say after the 1st trimester. i'll let ya know what the hairdresser says today!
bumble Posts: 1980
I had asked my GP and she told me that there isn't enough research on this to say for sure whether it does or doesn't do any harm. But that the general consensus (in her opinion) was that it is ok to do it and if you're at all concerned then wait until after the first trimester (which is when most of the development takes place). I haven't dyed it yet but am going to ring this week and book in - am also going to redo the patch test as your skin can become more sensitive in pregnancy. Also use the colour with caution as your hair can react differently to colour during pregnancy. It's a personal decision for everyone but in my case I'm going to go ahead and get it done - albeit not as frequently as i would do it when not pg.
YoungsWIfe Posts: 738
I rang my hairdresser and as I only put a semi colour in he said no probs. He said he would never advise against colouring while pregnant unless someone wanted to bleach their whole head or something. :wv
Thank you all for your replies! I have decided to colour my hair but I am going to wait a few more weeks.