Menu

dyspraxia.. how much for private appointment with child psyc

Support for Mothers and Fathers who have children with Special needs

Go to Children with Special Needs

windycity
Woloholic

dyspraxia.. how much for private appointment with child psyc

Postby windycity » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:44 pm

my nephew has been on waiting list to get diagnosis for months :-( how much would it cost to get an appointment privately with a child psychologist does anyone know? :thnk :thnk

Veruca-Salt
Wolly Addict

Postby Veruca-Salt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi malteeser,
A child pyschologist would actually not be able to diagnose dyspraxia only dyspraxic tendancies a child would need to be assessed by a neurologist to get a complete diagnosis- perhaps go to the gp and get a referal for the neurolist in crumlin hospital?
Hope that helps! :thnk

windycity
Woloholic

Postby windycity » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:18 pm

oh really?? do you know is there a long wait? or is it private? thanks so much xx

Veruca-Salt
Wolly Addict

Postby Veruca-Salt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:29 pm

Once you go through your gp to get a referal the wait should not be too long! There should be no need to go private but if you are looking for urgent help you could visit a private occupation therapist who will be able to recommend some coping strategies but to get assistance in school and public O.T. there will need to be a full dianosis from a neurologist! HTH! :thnk

auburnbride
New Wolly

Postby auburnbride » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:23 am

I have heard it costs about 350 just for a diagnosis by an ot
Last edited by auburnbride on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twister
Mini Wolly

Postby Twister » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:25 am

Occupational Therapists are the ones to see for a diagnosis of Dyspraxia rather than a Neurologist. OTs can provide you and your child with a programme of work/exercises needed to help with motor/balance/coordination difficulties. Neurologists will not provide you with a programme of work. Try www.ot.ie for a list of Private Ot's in Ireland but make sure that you source an OT who has a background in Dyspraxia/ Peadiatrics- this is stated beside each Private OT's name in your area. Also, before making your appointment for private assessment, if you have health insurance, phone your provider to see if the OT is approved by them and you will be able to claim some of the money back.
Additionally if your child is under 5 you can contact your local HSE PCCC department and ask to speak to a disabilty officer about appying for a Statement of Need/assessment of need for your child. Each child under the age of 5 can avail of free multidisciplinary team based assessments such as Psychology,Speech and language therapy,OT, Audiology as determined by each childs presentation-in your case OT and SLT assessments are paramount.
Hope that this all helps! and best of luck

Aileen Duffy Makeup
Veruca-Salt
Wolly Addict

Postby Veruca-Salt » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi Twister!
Does a child not need a full neurological assessment before being entitled to special needs hours or exemptions (such as a scribe for exams) from the dept of ed? I realise that the OT will be the person who will actually be working with the child but I know that my brother needed to see a neurologist before he received any recognition for this condition? And I also dont think he was entitled to free OT (he was over 5 years of age) until he had received this diagnosis from the neurologist? Perhaps there has been a change in procedure in the past couple of years though? If so, apologies to OP for misinformation! :thnk

Twister
Mini Wolly

Postby Twister » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:52 pm

No, exemption from a schooling point of view(Dept of Ed. and Science) is accepted by SLT PSYCH or OT reports.Neurologists reports are helpful but not necessary. The ;local SENO (SPecial Education Needs Organiser), who determines the level of supports each child is entitled to will decide what reports are necessary and advise the childs school/Principal. SOME private assessments do not include reports and you may be charged extra to have a report provided. SOME private assessments will not be accepted by the Dept. of Ed. as the Psychologist has to be recognised and approved by them.
The free ot assessment I was talking about is under the New Disability act and only came into pass over the past few years. Hope that your bro is doing well.

emma1980
Woloholic

Postby emma1980 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:16 am

my daughter was diagnosed by a Neurologist in our ladys in crumlin. he then sent a letter to my gp and to the school, with recommendations. One was that the school would organise an educational physcologist to see my daughter, which was done within a week of the school receiving the neurologists letter.
Everything is great now, thank god and she has come on brilliantly. She may have more problems in her early teens but at the moment she is good O-O
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

Veruca-Salt
Wolly Addict

Postby Veruca-Salt » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:58 am

Thanks for that reply Twister! All good to know! He is doing great thanks! Emma, glad to her your lo is doing well :wv

Next

Go to Children with Special Needs