Early scan not showing a heartbeat

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lollyfp Posts: 2441
Hi everyone, I had a serious scare today and ended up in The Coombe getting checked out in the Emergency Room. I have been feeling fine, no bleeding/spotting or cramping but for the past 2 days I have been having sharp shooting/stabbing pains down my left shoulder/arm. I thought nothing of it at first in relation to pregnancy but when I looked it up online I found that it can be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy! They even specified that if it was in your left shoulder (which it was) you needed to go to your doctor or hospital immediately so I rang The Coombe and spoke to a midwife and she told me to come in immediately. I went in and they did a scan and the good news is that it is NOT an ectopic pregnancy. The bad news is that the scan did not go as well as expected. At first she could not even see a yolk sac at all! I mean she was rooting around for ages (an internal scan) and nothing but black was showing. Then all of a sudden a glimmer of something and eventually she saw the yolk sac but it was not all that clear and it was hard to definitely determine that there was a heartbeat. The scanning machine was so low resolution and crappy that there is movement everywhere but it did look like there may have been a tiny little heartbeat in the yolk sac but it just was not clear enough to tell. They date me at 6 week, 6 days today based on my last period although I date myself 6 weeks, 3 days based on ovulation (my dates are accurate as I was charting) but at either of these dates we should have been able to see more. So I have to wait a week and go back to see if things are actually progressing or not. They took my bloods today (they don't give you any results) and I go back in 48 hours for another round to see how my HCG levels are progressing so fingers crossed. I am really worried now but I have no other signs of a miscarriage - no cramping, bleeding, my temperatures are still high every day (I have always been charting/temping) so I just don't know?? Has anyone else ever had this problem where they did not detect it clearly around 6 weeks but it was fine at a later point? Is there somewhere else I can go privately that has better equipment that will register things more clearly? Thanks xx
NewMom1 Posts: 1252
LFP, couldn't read and not reply, you poor thing, what a scare. I have no direct experienceof this and couldn't tell you if there is somewhere else you can go. But i want to wish you the very best over the coming weeks and I hope that all will be ok with you and your little bean xx
MINI DONKEY Posts: 2499
Daff Posts: 11644
Hi Lolly, you poor thing. You've had a very anxious day. I know it'll be easy to say don't worry, but please try not too get too stressed as it's not good for you. I'm not familiar with what they can see on internal exam, but i know with an ulrtasound you need to be 7 weeks for a heartbeat. I'm booked in at 8 weeks with Ultrasound Dimensions. She was lovely on the phone and has 25 years experience doing them, so even call her and ask her opinion on getting a private one done It's €135. Other than that i'm sorry i'm not much help. The main thing you need to remember is how strong and resilient the little beans are, and their job is to cling on! So many people don't realise they're pregnant for a good while and do things they'd never think of if they knew and the little beans keep hanging on! My prayers are with you x
Daff Posts: 11644
HTH
Dill Posts: 1640
Sorry to hear about your stressful day. while i dont have any experience of this i know when i rang a private clinic for an early scan they woudlnt see anyone before 6 weeks for the very reason it can be hard to find a heartbeat and they dont want to stress people out unneccessarily. Hope the news is good when you go back x Dill
sunshine. Posts: 1387
oh you poor thing...... Really and truely try not to worry.... I went for a scan at 8 weeks and she found it very hard to get the heart beat..... Usually before 8 weeks they will do an internal scan to try and get a better reading....... Its a really stressful time and know its easier said than done but dont worry... :xxx :xxx If you continue to worry you can just turn up to the early pregnancy unit and ask for another scan.... Best of luck
wishing on a star Posts: 86
Hi Lolly, I have had previous experience with early scans (2 miscarriages) and to be honest they may not be able to detect a heartbeat until after 8 weeks. Try not to worry (Easier said than done I know) but don't give up on your little bean just yet. Some of the machines can make it difficult to see also. A private scan may ease your mind and may have better machines in the private clinics. EPU will always do another scan if needed. Try not to worry and good luck.
Claret Posts: 25
Hi Lolly, I had a scan at 6+5 at Ultasound Dimensions in Blackrock and they were able to detect a Heartbeat. They are really really nice and the equipment is very good and you'll get a clear picture (although it just looks like a blob!) Wehn I rang they said they take people from 6 weeks. Best of luck
swissgirl Posts: 2301
lolly, I justed wanted to write and say thinking of you - dont lose hope. Eventhough you had an internal 6 weeks is still a bit on the early side for the heartbeat (did you see the thread I started yesterday on this ? I got some very good replies) If I remember rightly from TCOYF eventhough you may ovulate on a certain day conception may not happen for up to 5 days from that ovulation. So for example your charts may have you at 6 w and 3d but you may only be 5w and 6d. I hope there is good news on your blood work and in future scans and that we will be talking loads in the coming months. x sg