early scan-where?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrs smurphy Posts: 105
hey ladies. found out this week im 5 weeks pregnant :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll wohoo! so we're thinking of getting an early pregnancy scan done. can ye recommend me a few places. i see some of he ads around the site alright but id like to hear some peoples opinions on this. thanks!! oh im in wexford by the way so galway or anything isnt feasable for me!
mum~of~an~angel Posts: 81
Hi; Firstly congratulations on baby smurph!! :o)ll I'm not from your neck of the woods and didn't get an early scan on my lo but did get the 3/4D scan with babyscan.ie and found them very good I think they do early scans too Not sure if they're in Wexford though. Sorry can't be of more help
futuremama Posts: 273
Congratulations! I had a private scan done at Ultrasound suite in Bray on Friday, and found the girl really nice and the scan quality great. If you can it would prob be best to wait for another 3 weeks or so, cause you'll get to see the heartbeat then. Best of Luck
Mamaboom Posts: 2094
I had one done at 8 weeks in Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock, Dublin. Highly recommend the place. It was around €140 but reassurance was priceless. They recommend you wait until around 8 weeks so you should be able to see a heartbeat. Congrats!
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
I would love an early scan. it is too hard to wait til 20 weeks or so for a scan. How do you arrange a private early scan. Can you just ring or do you need a referral letter? The girls who didn't mention price, were they about the same as the Blackrock one mentioned? Is there much of a waiting list for them? I am in my late 30s and have well controlled epilepsy as well, so I really would like a scan at about 9-10 weeks.
Excitedwife Posts: 1186
The Beacon in Sandyford do them :wv
his&hers Posts: 48
Hi many congrats on your bfp :o)ll I've had 2 private scans, one in ultrasound dimensions which was €140 with my last pregnancy -staff were all very professional. Can't remember who asked but you just phone up and make an appt for private scan, no GP referral needed and many of these places work evenings and weekends. This pregnancy I had a little bleed at 6.5 weeks (after epu scan) which continued and I phoned the ultrasound suite in bray on a Friday lunch time (I was 7+1 then) and explained and got taken straight in at 6pm that evening. This scan was €120 and I got 2 pictures and a cd with 2 short clips of our little baba and his/her :lvs , the sonographer (Deidre) was lovely and so reassuring, the gel is heated :ooh and we also get €20 off if we go for another scan-cant rave about it enough and definitely intend to go for another scan soon. As the others have said definitely recommend waiting until at least 7 -8 weeks as it may be difficult to see heaartbeat before then. Wishing us all sticky :babydust: H&H.
Thanks. What is the name of the place in Bray and I will look it up. Does anyone know if it is harder to view baby clearly if you have excess belly fat?
twinkie Posts: 286
My sister is pregnant at the moment :o)ll she is nearly three months lives in wicklow she is going to have her baby in the coombe hospital on her first appointment last week she had a scan done next scan is in october. :stork:
I found the info on the Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock but no others. It is great that they take medical cards and give a reduction on the price. I think I will go public in NMH and then get private scans done as well. I am hoping that because of my epilepsy, age and weight that they might agree to an early scan in the hospital. If so, I will just get the gender one done privately. Great service. Well worth the money by the sounds of it.