Eco-friendly nappies, does your county council accept them ?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sassy Sally Posts: 306
Hi all, I'm hoping to use Moltex eco-friendly nappies for the baby when he / she arrives. I was under the impression that they were compostable but I contacted my County Council (Fingal) and they won't accept them in the brown bin - do any co co's accept them and if not, what do you do with them ?? I'm trying not to put my black bin out as much as I used to coz it costs each time but will have to put it out a lot if I have to bin the nappies ?!?! Thanks for your help with this !! Sassy :wv
hipbaby Posts: 4530
Our guys will in Westmeath but doubt that is much help for you. Are the Moltext ones compostable?? www.hipbaby.ie
Thanks for that, it's good to know that some councils will coz I can go back to Fingal and ask them to look into it at least !! According to the Moltex blurb they are compostable - are they the ones you're using or is there another brand out there ?? Sassy :wv
neeov Posts: 4256
Can you compost them at home?
That's what the hubby has just suggested when I told him that Fingal won't accept them so I suppose we'll try that. I wonder how long does decomposition take bearing in mind how many nappies a newborn is likely to get through :eek Sassy :wv
neeov Posts: 4256
Could be a while.. There is a special cone digester you can get which is supposed to be faster, I don't know what its called but you bury part of it in the soil so its supposed to be faster. Composting normal garden waste take over a year for us, even though websites will say 6-8 weeks!!
pattie Posts: 2379
I think they compost quickly in a wormery. AFAIK Dairy Queen did this and they broke down in a couple of months. Maybe you can PM her.
silíní Posts: 4219
THey won't accept them in Waterford either! I use moltex and i have to put them in ordinary bin! At least i know they will biodegrade!!
Blackbird Posts: 5135
We are with a private refuse collector and they won't accept moltex in their brown compost bins. I rang them about it and they said they have been told that they won't break down, although they are branded as compostable. We use cloth nappies but we use a few disposables a week too so I'd love to switch to moltex and put them in the brown bin. I use the Boots eco ones instead, which aren't compostable but have fewer chemicals in them than ordinary nappies. Moltex are expensive but I wouldn't mind as much if they could go in the brown bin.