Ecoli found in cucumber.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kala Posts: 1937
just picked up the paper after doing a nice salad for tea, washed my lettuce in milton, soaked my tomatoes in salted water and peeled and washed my cucumber only to read that 4 people have died in Germany after eating cucumbers found to be contaminated with E.coli and several others are sick in the uk, sweden etc. i am paranoid as it is when it comes to foods i can/can't eat in pregnancy, so picky , choosey and so vigilant when handling raw meat,even in the garden- i avoid gardening because of the soil that this is the last straw for me.i don't eat salads from deli's etc just careful all the time. they are tracing the cucumbers back to spain that i went looking in the bin for the wrapper only to find nothing written on it. so i am here now, googling the symptoms of E.coli food poisoning and have even warned my dh and aupair to let me know if they feel ill.- what's next- being pregnant is hard enough but now having this worry. sorry for the rant- really find the whole eating thing in pregnancy a nightmare as i am obsessively paranoid
lush11 Posts: 2877
Ok, well first thing you need to do is relax. Ive eaten loads of stuff that your not meant to eat during pregnancy and im still here to tell the tale. Washing your lettuce in milton?? Are you sure thats safe and wouldnt it stink of milton then? I'd say you'll survive your cucumber episode.
OAT Posts: 2207
[quote="lush11":ovoloz9t]Ok, well first thing you need to do is relax. Ive eaten loads of stuff that your not meant to eat during pregnancy and im still here to tell the tale. Washing your lettuce in milton?? Are you sure thats safe and wouldnt it stink of milton then? I'd say you'll survive your cucumber episode.[/quote:ovoloz9t] +1 I couldn't imagine washing food in milton being too safe? :o0 and DEFO wouldn't say it tasted good! I'm sure washing your fruit and veg in normal water is safe enough
kala Posts: 1937
washing veg in milton is totally safe- even on the back of the bottle it says you can. lettuce really is the only thing i wash in milton esp the bagged stuff as i've read its a high listeria risk. well after reading the story about cucumber i wonder is there a need for my extrememities!
BabasFor2012 Posts: 1594
I wouldn't worry, the people in England that are sick are German, the report I heard on the news seemed to suggest that they would have eaten the cucumber in Germany and there is no evidence that any of the affected cucumbers made it to the UK. I wouldn't eat the lettuce in bags as that is washed in bleach, can't wait until my lettuces come up outside, although nothing is growing with this crap weather ;o( Thing is there is going to be some risk with a lot of food, if you take sensible precautions and don't eat things that are high risk for listeria, then you have done what you can and just have to accept that we can't control everything about our lives all of the time and things happen no matter how hard we try to stop them.