Ecv experiences???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Roxet Posts: 220
Hey girls, I'm 37 weeks today n baby is still breech. I'm due to go for ecv Wednesday for doc to try n turn the baby. I have been advised that it's low risk and will be fully monitored during the process. However if anyone had this done I'd appreciate any advice
funkyfish Posts: 7626
my cons would not do it again. he did it to a lady once and the next day babs was dead. he says babs is breech for a reason.... i would not get it done.
momof3 Posts: 510
If u have money I'd try acupuncture but not physically trying to turn baby.
ructions Posts: 2689
I asked about this recently, seems a lot depends on the position of the placenta and position of the cord. Baby can only be moved in the direction their head is pointing IYKWIM, so if the placenta is in the way it's not possible. It used to be done routinely, my sister had her third baby moved around into a head down position, but I don't think it's as common any more. I'm sure your consultant knows the score having scanned you?
GentleBirth Posts: 750
[quote="funkyfish":me9acc4x]my cons would not do it again. he did it to a lady once and the next day babs was dead. he says babs is breech for a reason.... i would not get it done.[/quote:me9acc4x] FF was that comment really necessary....especially when this Mum is due soon? Despite your consultants feelings on the procedure ECV is known to be a safe procedure and the loss of a baby is extremely rare. A caesarean section is not without risk - and an ECV can give a Mum at least a 50% chance of avoiding a surgical birth and the complications that can arise. Roxet - this is a really good video of Dr Tucker in the UK doing an ECV on a Mum and it also gives all of the evidence about it's safety and any risks associated with it. Hopefully it will put your mind at rest. Some hospitals don't offer it any more simply because the consultants haven't kept up their skills but it can be quite common depending on which hospital you attend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AM6wDwTjmc Acupuncture and hypnosis can also be very successful. Use the free baby turn Mp3 that I've linked to below over the next few days and during the procedure to relax your pelvis as much as possible on the day. http://www.gentlebirth.ie/breech.html Best of luck Tracy
i do feel it was necessary. the poster was told that it was low risk. i think the reason my consultant and other reasons for not doing it anymore is the right reason. my opinion. an opinion was asked for i gave it take it or leave it. i would try accumpuncture or this moxi smoke thingys [yup real technical there] i have heard that they work.
It [i:oheg1tdj]is[/i:oheg1tdj] low risk for a Mum without any contraindications (most Mums). Your opinion and the opinion of your consultant is not based on international best practice. Of course eveyone is entitled to an opinion but safe medical practices need to be based on more than opinion. In my opinion certain aspects of your reply were inappropriate.
i was "low risk" had no apparant contraindications, until i was on the operating table. the risk is to the baby. i don't want to get into an fight over this :thnk . i am hormonal exhausted and will over react. i hope it all works out for you chick.
Well I'm operating on no sleep so we're even O-O but ECVs are known to be safe for Mum and baby.
Roxet Posts: 220
Thanks for the replies girls. My own consultant doesn't do the procedure, there is only one consultant in my hospital who does this procedure. Apparently he has a good success rate. My placenta is in the ideal position too n the baby is in ok position. I'm meeting him Wednesday but my consultant told me I can opt out at any point and have c section. I have tried moxa n acupuncture but nothing has worked so far. I was hoping someone who had gone through the process mite have more advices too. Thanks again