eeewwww nail infection

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

neytiri Posts: 844
how the hell do you get rid of a mild toenail infection?????? :-8 :-8 Ive tried all the over the counter crap - none of it works. Doc suggested canesten which i do use most days but still hasnt taken it away. As i said its very mild - i have only slight discolouration of the nail on the big toe of each foot and the nail is brittle at the edges. Its driving me insane - used to have gorgeous nails O:| O:| I got gel nails done for my wedding and my nails have never been right since - could that be the culprit????
TracyBarlow Posts: 943
I would say the gel nails could well be a factor, depending on how hygienic the nail technician was, or it could have weakened your natural nails to the point where it made them vunerable to picking up the nail infection. I very rarely got a mani/pedi when i lived abroad for the simple reason that the nail technicians were badly trained, and i heard loads of stories of people picking up fungal infections as a result. I cant really give you any advice, if you've tried everything, sorry. :o( My mum has a nail infection on one toe, and its taking forever to get rid of, shes using all the usual stuff too, OTC stuff, tea tree oil baths, i think there is an oral antifungal that is meant to work, but she cant take it due to her medical history, but it might be worth looking into if your doc hasnt suggested it. I think it might be Lamisal, or something like that.
theoracle Posts: 7664
If the over the counter stuff does not work oral anti-fungal is the only option left.
JustBecause Posts: 3242
My FH has a horrible nail infection one 1 toe. The nail looks like it belongs to a rhino! We've been using Curanail and after 3 weeks I can alreayd see an improvement. Yes I did say we... Love is tending you loved ones diseased toe nail!
[quote="Jellybeanie":s3bzmsz3]My FH has a horrible nail infection one 1 toe. The nail looks like it belongs to a rhino! We've been using Curanail and after 3 weeks I can alreayd see an improvement. Yes I did say we... Love is tending you loved ones diseased toe nail![/quote:s3bzmsz3] :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 the things we do for love huh!!!! Thanks girls, Ill ask doc for the oral anti-fungal meds & hopefully that will take it. Im raging with those gel nails especially since i didnt even need them!
sugarandspice Posts: 2378
if it involves the nail, then 8-12 weeks of tablets are the only option (prescripton only). Creams only good for skin
8-12 weeks???????????????/ OMG :ooh :ooh :ooh that is insane - its so hard to treat these fungal infections isnt it!
JustBecause Posts: 3242
The doctor told FH it could take up to 6months for the infection to clear using the paint of stuff.
Mayogirl2011 Posts: 294
>:o(