Electricity cheaper at night?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lifestooshort Posts: 2312
Just wondering is it cheaper to use Tumble dryer after 11pm or is this a myth?
BigBird1 Posts: 1727
I'd heard it was after midnight, but dont know if its true or not. I have storage heaters in apt i live in,and apparently its cheaper to use the lot - dryer, dishwasher and heaters after midnight too - dont know how true it is tho
emlo Posts: 1506
I think in the summer it's from 12am-8am and in the winter 1am-9am. I may have those times the wrong way round though!
BusyDee Posts: 8527
There are 2 tariffs - domestic and night saver - it should show which one you are on on the top of your bill but if you didnt request the night saver you are probably on the domestic. I nearly had a heart attack when I realised I was on the domestic as I had been putting the dryer on after 11pm but the difference is very small, its probably as cheap on the domestic one, they usually enclose leaflets with your esb bill - thats where I saw the tarriff charges.
babybambino Posts: 940
As DCee said it only works if you are on nightsaver ie you have a day meter and a night meter. The units are half price after 11pm in winter and midnight in summer. They recommend that you don't leave your washing machine, dishwasher etc unattended when they're running but you can get around this by using them before 8am in winter and 9am in summer
MoreThanMakeup Posts: 516
You have to register for the night tarriff and, as far as I know, you have to be using a certain amount before you are eligible (that was the case years ago - not sure now........) I second the health and safety advice though - you shouldn't run any appliance unattended. Dryers and dishwashers in particular are notorious for overheating. Breda 'More than make-up'
milis Posts: 7998
You don't have to spend above a certain amount to get a nightsaver meter in, anyone can get it in free of charge.