Employers attitudes towards pregnancy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Paddy Whack Posts: 1399
Hi all, I'm curious about people's experiences with employers and pregnancy. It won't be too long before DH and I start TTC and I feel a bit anxious about things on the career front. I am in a permanent job but sadly they don't offer maternity pay which I think is disgraceful in this day and age (I think it should be compulsory). I don't plan on staying in this job forever but say I did move to another company on a year's contract (with the possibility of further contracts) I worry that having to leave halfway through a fixed term of say 1 year would damage my budding career path with them. I think by law, they would have to allow me back to complete my contract - but who's to say they would allow me another contract after that (being peed off that I left halfway thro the other) I know this is all theory but it's a worry nonetheless. I'm looking for feedback and other people's experiences. Thanks :wv
chicam Posts: 1169
I was under the impression that if you've a permanent contract then you're entitled to maternity pay - at least the government side of it anyway. That's an absolute disgrace that a company doesn't have maternity pay..are you in a union cos you should check with them if that's right or not? I thought that was illegal! As for employer's attitudes - I think it depends on the employer. And given yours doesn't even do maternity pay it sounds like their attitudes may not be great when you finally get pg. Is there anyone else in your company who's been pregnant, maybe you should speak to them on the QT and find out what their experience was. My employer was "ok"....think they are most p**sed off about the fact they'll have to get a replacement in, but they also realise it's my right and it's the law for them to pay me etc. etc. They haven't exactly made life easy for me, I've had a difficult pregnancy so far so have needed a little bit more TLC which I haven't gotten, but a quick trip to my GP sorted that out as he rung my employer and gave them the riot act. He was going to sign me out until babs in born, but after his phone call my employer bucked up and it's been a bit better. Good luck with the TTC, and with the stuff in work!
Jeidi Posts: 3128
Yeah I wont get maternity pay either, just what I get from the state €280 per week, big swing like, it will barely pay the monthly mortgage, thats why we have to save really hard for the coming months. In realation to how the boss acts.. well not talkin myself up here, but I'd be close enough to his number 1 earner, and he loves me. Gives me anything I want and need - except maternity pay!But I saw it last year, another top girl announced she's pregnant and its like she slowely ceased to exist. He didnt include her in anything, barely acknowledged her in meetings etc, so I'm expecting the same!
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
I'm on a permanent contract with a very good salary and I don't get maternity pay either so I'm going to bust a gut to clear off car loans and credit cards in the next few months. All I think is I lived on that in college so it'll be beans on toast and one light bulb in my house after Jan :o0
Thanks for the feedback ladies! Yes unfortunately it's not compulsory by law to pay maternity benefit even if you are on a permanent contract. There is an experienced mother who's been here years so I'll speak to her on the QT like you said. I don't know of she's aware of this but I heard our new boss giving out about her being out on parental leave (she gets one day a week or something) - he's gay so I'm sure there's no understanding there IYKWIM and no offence intended to anyone - but I am referring to a man who I know doesn't give a sheet about anyone but himself.
[quote="chicam":ysb3oozi]I was under the impression that if you've a permanent contract then you're entitled to maternity pay - at least the government side of it anyway. That's an absolute disgrace that a company doesn't have maternity pay..are you in a union cos you should check with them if that's right or not? I thought that was illegal! As for employer's attitudes - I think it depends on the employer. And given yours doesn't even do maternity pay it sounds like their attitudes may not be great when you finally get pg. Is there anyone else in your company who's been pregnant, maybe you should speak to them on the QT and find out what their experience was. My employer was "ok"....think they are most p**sed off about the fact they'll have to get a replacement in, but they also realise it's my right and it's the law for them to pay me etc. etc. They haven't exactly made life easy for me, I've had a difficult pregnancy so far so have needed a little bit more TLC which I haven't gotten, but a quick trip to my GP sorted th at out as he rung my employer and gave them the riot act. He was going to sign me out until babs in born, but after his phone call my employer bucked up and it's been a bit better. Good luck with the TTC, and with the stuff in work![/quote:ysb3oozi] Hi chicam, sorry to hear about your difficult pregnancy. I'm delighted that things have worked out for you. I wish there were more doctors like that :o)ll
alton Posts: 3077
[quote:12qt7dvi]I heard our new boss giving out about her being out on parental leave (she gets one day a week or something) - he's gay so I'm sure there's no understanding there IYKWIM and no offence intended to anyone - but I am referring to a man who I know doesn't give a sheet about anyone but himself.[/quote:12qt7dvi] At least he has the excuse of lacking the necessary perspective on the situation. I worked for a woman who was absolutely the pits when it came to pregnancy/ maternity leave etc. Her public attitude was impeccable but in the back office it was a case of [i:12qt7dvi]how can I get rid of this one[/i:12qt7dvi]. The problem is that an employer can be legally compliant but still discriminate against you in insidious ways. You get overlooked for promotions but how do you prove it's because you have children? If you can, challenge it. Ask for reassurances that you will not be discriminated against. Ask why your bosses attitude has changed since you broke the news...etc. The harder you make it for them to sideline you discreetly, the less likely they will be to try it I read a series of articles in the Indo a few weeks ago, about the problems facing older parents and I couldn't help but feel that there was a bit of an undercurrent of the old [i:12qt7dvi]selfish woman who chose a career over motherhood[/i:12qt7dvi] going on. It really irritated me that the reasons why educated 20-somethings have to make those choices weren't adequately explored or challenged. Employers don't look favourably on women who leave work on time to collect children from creches instead of working unpaid overtime like the rest of the staff. The workplace doesn't treat women with gaps on their CVs (the gap being the period spent doing a far more difficult job than anyone would ever pay for) very kindly. Fatherhood on the other hand sends a message to an employer that says something like [i:12qt7dvi]I have a family depending on my wages which means I'm reliable and dependable to this company[/i:12qt7dvi]. But then fathers, by and large, aren't doing the creche run and fathers don't take time off when the kids are sick. Why do we allow this to go on, when we're supposed to be enjoying an age of unprecedented gender equality? And what can we actually do about it? (apologies for ranting)
melb81 Posts: 15
morning all, me experience with my employer was a disaster. i found out i was pregnant in october and didnt tell anyone except my partner we wanted to wait til after the first scan not even family knew. i started work a few weeks after i found out for this employer everything was goin fine until i missed 1 day due to mornin sickness i rang in work and he was not impressed i got ate on the phone so much so that i started bawling.bein d honest person i am i wanted him to understand that i dont usually miss days that i had a genuine reason for bein sick and told him i was pregnant. red rag to a bull he f**ked me out of it said he couldnt run a business like that needed someone he could rely on and that wouldnt be takin time off, said my p45 would be in d post that day and whatever i was owed would be paid that fri and that was it. i didnt have a leg to stand on. on the letter that was sent out with my p45 it said i failed to complete my probabtionary period. all for missin one day!!!! i suppose its my own fault i know i should have said nothing til after d scan but honesty is not always the best policy. since i got let go 2 other girls have started and left after 2 days no satisfying some people. hel have no luck for it all. (thats what im tellin myself anyway) :)
workingmom Posts: 3429
Have to say, my workplace pays maternity pay, and I was dreading telling my boss, as I felt like when I go on maternity leave, I will be leaving him in the lurch, and I will, but he was great about it, and delighted for me. It was a good experience and I was dreading it. As for gender equality, well, the day a man can give birth to a baby is the day we will have gender equality, we have screwed ourselves, we can now do everthing a man can do career wise, but we are still expected to mind the kids, clean the house, cook the dinner etc etc on top of it, while men can still get away with going out to work every day and doing very little else.
Vera Posts: 197
My boss guessed and was trying to suss out one of my collegues to see if she knew before I had even annoucned it. he's such a pig. I told him yesterday. I asked for a moment of his time and I said that he probably guessed what I had to say and he said yes I know your pregnant. You'd think he might act surprised for my benefit but no. So I said that if you are so clever how far am I then? He guessed 12-14 weeks. I shot him a look to say thanks very much I'm only 11 on Thursday. Anyway a few months back he said that he would not have much work for me in the coming months as things had tightened up and then when it came to the time when I was leaving he asked if I would stay part time. Since I annoucned my pregnancy he's at that again. "sure you could finish up in two months or cut your days down to two days if you want" I'm not going to let him get out of this that easily. I'm cementing my feet to the ground. What a f**ker. I also heard recently that he has cheated on his wife twice with two of my colleagues. So I'm gonna play hard ball. What the hell would I do if I finish up in two months. I'd go off my rocker with bordem. Never mind not having any money. I am working here 2 and half years and have put up with so much shit from this guy. He is pretty wealthy and it would not kill him to let me stay until I am due to leave. It's only a few months. Aghhhhhhhh! There sorry I needed to get that rant out.