endometriosis

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

strawberry shortcake Posts: 9094
hi girls my mate just told me she has endometriosis sorry i am totally blonde i dont know what it is, but she did say she could have trouble coneieving (she already has a little girls) can anyone shed some light on it for me.
msmcb1 Posts: 508
Endometriosis is a condition where tissue similar to the lining of the uterus is also found elsewhere in the body, mainly in the abdominal cavity. www.endometriosis.org
MUMS THE WORD Posts: 733
I too have endo, it's a very painful condition for some (i.e. me) in other words for the past 17 years of my life (since i got my first period at the age of 12) I would basically take to the bed for at least 3 days in absolute agony.. The gynaes also tell you that the most popular 'cure' for it is to have a baby.. but what they fail to tell you at times is that the chances of conceiving naturally are very much reduced!!! Sometimes life seems soo hard!!!
bride. Posts: 3014
I have it too, it can be pretty bad. I take the pill back to back (no break) for 3 months so i only get one period once every 3months which suits me fine. It's also good for not making the Endo worse and therefore means I have a better chance of conceiving when the time comes. I would have thought that she has had this all her life and it has only been diagnosed now and if she already has kids hopefully it means that she will be able to have more. Hope she's all right.
strawberry shortcake Posts: 9094
thanks for all your replies girls i really didnt know what it was, im pretty sure she had it when she was preg before because she had pains and a cyst as far as i can remember so hopefully it wont affect her in future best of luck to you all
feelsobad Posts: 693
Endometriosis occurs when endometrium (the tissue which normally lines the uterus) is found outside the uterus in other places or attached to other organs.   This tissue responds to hormones in the same way as normal endometrium, and so it bleeds each month at period time. Because this bleeding is occurring in an abnormal location, (with nowhere to go) it can cause scarring and tissue damage. If it occurs on the ovaries, it can cause cysts of endometriosis, or “chocolate cysts”, so called because they contain old blood, which is very dark in colour. All of these events can lead to pain and/or infertility which may require treatment. The most common place for endometriosis to occur is within the pelvis (on the ovaries, bladder, bowel or behind the uterus), but it can also be found in other areas of the body, causing pain during menstruation. Because endometriosis is hormonally dependant, it often tends to resolve or go away spontaneously, after the menopause occurs.
also it is quite common to cause weight gain... i'm like a bloody yo yo.. sometime up then slim... despite my constant good efforts I just can't seem to loose it.. My gynae told me after my last procedure last september, that it is causing one of my ovaries to be overactive.. hence a hormone imbalance and hence my weight gain.. to be honest when he told me that i felt quite 'vindicated' as i had been battling my weight for years, and could never shift it... was telling everyone that i was being soo good i.e. balanced healthy diet, and excercise.. but was still plump.. but it's just one of those things i guess...
bride. Posts: 3014
Is that right Mumstheword? I'm actually very happy to hear that. I was aware of it with PCOS all right but you don't hear many doctors talking about weight gain and Endo.
[quote:1sinsz7i]Is that right Mumstheword? I'm actually very happy to hear that. I was aware of it with PCOS all right but you don't hear many doctors talking about weight gain and Endo.[/quote:1sinsz7i] well that's what my consultant told me anyway.. had been baffled about my weight gain in teh first instance..