Entry requirements for holiday to US

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

clio99 Posts: 712
Hubbie is bringing me to Boston for my 30th in Sept for 5 days and I am wondering what are the entry requirements now. Our passports were issued in 2004 so we dont have the chip thingy. Do we have to get new ones with this or do we have to get some sort of visa now?? Also hubbies friend and his wife want to come with us but the thing is he was bold boy in Uk about 15 yrs ago and did a spell courtesy of her majesty, he has never had any problem going on hols but is worried about the US, what do you reckon the chances are of them going. Would hate for him to get as far as Us and then for them to say no sorry you aint coming in..
clucky Posts: 26471
oh i never thought of that - I am going to chicago next week and my passport was issued in 2001 - will I get in???
Mrs Peg Bundy Posts: 2515
My passport was issued in 2003 and I'd no problems getting into the US last July.
Princess Cinders Posts: 11475
Just got this from their website, think it only applies to passports issued after 26 oct this year, http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/interapp/c ... e_0021.xml
BlushingB Posts: 1634
You also have to make sure that your passport is not withing 6 months of expiry. For some reason they won't let you in if there's less than six months left before the validation date is up. The criminal history may or may not be a problem, but a quick phone call to the U.S consul will clear that up. The only checks they seem to do at immigration is the fingerprint scan, taking your photo and 'reading' your passport through their swipe. I'm sure it would breach just one or two major laws if their files fed in to some sort of criminal database. There's a fairly long list of check boxes you have to go through too, the usual 'do you plan on entering our country just to be bad and um like do shit' kinda things. If in doubt check it out.
Princess Cinders Posts: 11475
I just rang the passport office in Dublin and asked them about it. They said once your passport is a machine readable one it will be ok and at the moment there is no need to rush out and get a new one.
phewwwwwwwwwwww momentary panic attack has abated
mia Posts: 963
Just back from that funeral in US with a 1997-issued pasport and no problems. Re your friend's past. Anyone who has a criminal record has to apply for a visa (they don't qualify for the visa waiver scheme we get in under) and this is not automatically granted. Get him to apply sooner rather than later, flights are expensive and it would be a lot of money to lose if they can't travel.
clio99 Posts: 712
Thanks Mia, I will get him to get on to the embassey, its so long ago now and it wasnt for anything major just got mixed up with the wrong crowd when he was younger. Hopefully they wont stop him. :wink:
Mia I hope the funeral was ok and that you got through it alright - I read your other post - very sad