Epidural in Newry

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs Electric Posts: 1939
Had the labor ward tour last night and all is well but mid-wife said Epidural is only available Mon-Fri 9-5. I heard this before but as im going private i thought if i needed it i could have it, now im not ruling it out, id love to go without it but id feel a lot more at ease if i knew it was on stand by so im a little more nervous about the whole birth now!, anyone have their babies in Daisy hill outside of 9-5.....???? O:|
mama2E Posts: 670
Hi Mrs Electric, I'm a daisy hill mum to be. Two of my friends have had their babies out side 9-5 mon - Fri without the epi service! another friend was a private patient and to be honest her treatment was awful - basically after being induced on a thursday by friday afternoon nothing had happened and when another emergency patient was brought in, she was told that the consultant wouldn't be round to see her until Sat Morning - by which time she new the Epi was a no go. Her husband discharged her and she came back in on Sunday night to be induced again and get epi first thime on monday morning! They are very strict on Epi rule. Usually if its coming up to 5pm (Mon - Fri) the midwifes recommend getting the epi if you think you'll want it. Different story over the weekend - you will only get a epi if you need a section! For this reason they tend not to induce patients on Fridays or over the weekend! I think the best thing is to be aware that it may not be available. Hope this helps!
bucketofchips Posts: 1913
[quote="Mrs Electric":jkat6fa2]Had the labor ward tour last night and all is well but mid-wife said Epidural is only available Mon-Fri 9-5. I heard this before but as im going private i thought if i needed it i could have it, now im not ruling it out, id love to go without it but id feel a lot more at ease if i knew it was on stand by so im a little more nervous about the whole birth now!, anyone have their babies in Daisy hill outside of 9-5.....???? O:|[/quote:jkat6fa2] I know nothing about childbirth (other than the general basics), but that has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I picture a mid-wife walking around the hospital corridors banging on a bedpan yelling: [color=red:jkat6fa2][size=150:jkat6fa2]"Remember now ladies pain relief only available between 9am and 5pm weekdays, and not between 10.45 to 11am as we go on our tea-break, lunch hour is out too!"[/size:jkat6fa2][/color:jkat6fa2] I rarely say this but am biting my tongue on this: Ballyobackward Ireland much? Am shocked :eek Just saw this bit - fe*king hilarious: [quote="mama2b":jkat6fa2] They are very strict on Epi rule. [b:jkat6fa2]Usually if its coming up to 5pm (Mon - Fri) the midwifes recommend getting the epi if you think you'll want it[/b:jkat6fa2]. [/quote:jkat6fa2] It's like "look love I know you're about to squeeze a melon out of the size of a grape, but do you foresee yourself in any pain? 'Cause I'm due down the pub in an hour and need to put my lippy on and it's 4.48pm" It reminds me of when lounge girls or waitresses in pubs would come over to you and tell you they are going off shift in 20 minutes so can you pay the bill and their tip now. :yelrotflmaosmilie:
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Oh My God. That's a bloody disgrace :eek I am completely shocked that you can't get an epi when you NEED it. Jesus :eek
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
Hi My friend has her baby there last week outside the hours and she was perfectly fine. She was afraid about not getting the EPI but they give her a morphine injection I think! to help take the edge off the pain. Another friend had her baby in drogheda as she wanted the epi and was progressing to much and couldn't get it. Even if you do go to a hospital that offers it you are not totally guaranteed to actually get it.
mrs sunflower I didnt know they used Morphine, i suppose thats something, puts my mind at ease, i might not want it but good to know something is there. :wv Glad everything went well for your friend.
McSquigg Posts: 174
Hi Mrs Electric If it's any consolation, I'm going to Lagan Valley in Lisburn and they have the same 9-5 epidural policy. I knew about it from day one but figured that if I think I can't have one, I'll work it into my birthplan and prepare myself for it. That's the theory anyway, I'll probably regret it!
Thanks Mc squigg. That does help. Hubby did say it was on the paper work when we start going for scans first but i cant remember, between hormones and all the excitement at the beginning it must have went over my head but getting closer to the time im just getting a little anxious which is natural, im sure all will be fine, if i keep positive. :o0 Might do another few yoga classes soon, practice that breathing....