Epidural

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Venus Bride Posts: 456
Hi Girlies Just wondering if you would recommend getting or not getting the epidural ?? Thx
Babybop. Posts: 592
Venus Bride i had the epidural on my first and hated the way i felt after it plus it slowed down my labour but everyones different and i have heard some people say it was the best pain relief ever. I went without anything on my second and hope to do it all again on this Babs but thats wishful thinking.
Sleep Monster Posts: 2829
28 hours of labour the last 6 of which I had epidural! thought I would die leading up to it with the pain and was able to snooze with it :eek most amazing invention ever!!!!!!!!!! I was 4cm dilated before I got it, ant earlier and it might have slowed things down. You can't feel as well for pushing but I just gave it my all.
chicam Posts: 1169
I know you probably wanted replies from ppl who have had epidurals but I just wanted to add my two-pence worth as a first timer who's made a decision to have an epi based on the fact that I wouldn't have a tooth pulled without an anaesthetic so I'm not pushing a baby out without one also! Lol!
Sleep Monster Posts: 2829
Dead right!!! Why be a martyr..? IMO, but each to their own of course.
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
[quote="chicam":17osx3x4]I know you probably wanted replies from ppl who have had epidurals but I just wanted to add my two-pence worth as a first timer who's made a decision to have an epi based on the fact that I wouldn't have a tooth pulled without an anaesthetic so I'm not pushing a baby out without one also! Lol![/quote:17osx3x4] My sentiments exactly!! Haha I actually even said those exact words to the doctor when [b:17osx3x4]HE [/b:17osx3x4]was telling me that "women have been having babies for millions of years without pain relief".
sandym Posts: 774
I had an epi on my first labour but the blooming thing didn't work O:| it numbed my right side but not the rest of me and then wore off by which time it was too late to top it up so I had to do it in my sense and although at the time I thought I would die (I remember screaming at the midwife "am I dying?" and "I'm going to die" :o0 :o0) at the time but bear in mind I was only 20 :-8 second time around I was adamant I didnt want one as I'd managed first time around and although it didn't work that time I felt so sick after it and hated that I couldnt get out of bed etc and was determined to manage on pethidine..but then as they were doing the vaginal exams as the time went along I just couldnt handle it very well and the midwife advised me very strongly to get it so I did but I ended up being rushed in for emergency C-section after half an hour of getting it as baby wasnt coping well so I never really got the full effect of it.. last birth was planned section so didnt have to worry.. I wouldnt' advise anyone one way or the other...I have to say though I was so proud of myself after the first delivery as I had managed without it (even though I was given it) but didn't like the way it made me feel and as it went wrong (which doesnt happen in the majority of cases so I'm not trying to scare anyone btw) I was reluctant second tmie round to take it. I think it should be explained to mums to be that it doesnt always work as it wasnt explained to me at all.I thought that as soon as I got it all would be great and this happens in majority of women but I was just unlucky but I think it's extremely important to be made fully aware of the chance of it not working. Best of luck with whatever you decide and if the time comes and you feel you need it then grab it by both hands so to speak as it will hopefully lead to a happier labour for you and baby. Good luck :xxs
Mrs C at last Posts: 1672
I had it, and was unlucky with it too. They gave it to me at 2 cm (and after 26 hours of labour), and 4 hours later, the labour had stopped, I was still 2 cm, and babs went into distress and had to be emer section. On next one I'll be waiting as long as possible, and only get it if I really have to. I really dont want another section.
silíní Posts: 4219
EPI i love you, EPI i do!!!! I'd def recommend it. Now, i did have to have it resited twice, as it only worked on one side. but the excruciating pains i was having from teh contractions only made me more determined to have it..... I had no pain for the pushing but did feel enough to push.... I was induced and i'd say you'd be crazy to have an induction without it (if you had drip) cause the labour is so fast and you have no time to get used to the pain like you would with a natural birth.... I had my baby in six hours start to finish after having my waters broken..... I cant even imagine what it wo uld have been like without the epi. I have had no side effects though so i am lucky. Just my opinion.S
Sassy Posts: 2269
Best invention ever.............. I was 2 days in early labour and the worst of it was at night so no sleep for me. My waters where broken and i went into quick labour. I was 4cm with in 3 hrs and was given the epidural, which was brilliat. 2hrs later i was 9cms, so although it slows down your labour it didn't slow mine by much. Mine worked really well i couldn't feel anything but when it came down to the pushing i could slightly feel presser. The only down side to it is that you can't move for about 4hrs after you deliver.