Errigal Country House Residents Bar??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

orgbride1 Posts: 47
Hi, just wondering has anybody had any experience of the residence bar in the errigal hotel in cootehill. i've booked the hotel but never been to a wedding there nor know anyone who has been there recently. both sides of the family are big into sing songs so would be very disappointed if it closes early. Thanks in advance
joker Posts: 2789
was at a wedding there and we were late in the bar tho no sing songs. best thing you can do is ring the hotel .
LastRolo Posts: 6892
I was at a wedding last year in it. After the wedding was over we went into a small area just off from the lobby, it wasnt a bar. A girl came out and took our order and went into the bar and came back out with it. I think we got 2 drinks. I am currently looking around at venues and I was thinking of Errigal. How are you finding them?
ludicrous Posts: 529
I have the errigal booked four our wedding in June (cant believe its so soon!!). We were told that the residents bar will stay open as long as guests are well behaved! But it'll probably depend on who's behind the bar etc. lastrolo - so far i have found them great to deal with, and their new brochure has great deals in it. I'm going to see them in the next couple of weeks to discuss menu etc.
Is the residents bar in the Brewery Bar or in the area just off the foyer? Ludicrous: Thanks! Hope your planning is coming along well. I cant wait to see what you thought of the Errigal as it is in my Top 3 venues at the minute and a very serious contender. Is there much room for negotion with them? I know their new brochure has 1 glass of wine in, free corkage and complementary bar extention which is excellent compared to some hotels around but would they throw in chair covers or is that pushing it!! :eek
AFAIK, they don't have chair covers themselves so its unlikely, although its definitely one of the questions i'll be asking when i meet. Bot least because i'll need to get a move on a nd book someone else!! Long before this years brochure was published we had negotiated with them and they had agreed to keep 2009 prices and give us the complimentary bar extension, but thats all part of the deal now anyway so i'm going to look at a reducing the cost of a choice for the main course. I'm not sure where the residents bar is TBH, but i'll ask!
Are you dealing with Bernie directly? I have heard both good and bad things about her. Mostly good though, the only bad is that she's a hard nut to crack when negotiating!! O:| I was at 2 weddings in the errigal... one a few years ago before the extention and one in september. I walked into the foyer and thought WOW! The new extention is lovely and keeps the wedding crowd together, plenty of space around the bar while loads of lovely seating and sofas. Not to mention the cute announcment of the couple at the reception desk!! :lvs One thing that I have a reservation about is the amount of rooms they have. I would not imagine that there would be an over demand for rooms as our home towns would not be too far away but you never know do you. I've heard some of the Errigal's advertised rooms are actually in the houses beside the hotel. How many of these are here? Do they charge the same for these rooms as they do for the ones in the hotel? I'd imagine it would be very weird staying in the house compared to the hotel. Saying that I've heard the walls in the hotel are paper thin anyway so you'll be heard by your neighbours either way!!! :xox :-8 :-8 :-8
Yes i've been dealing with Bernie directly. I would say that yes she is a tough nut to crack, but at the same time I went in armed!! I had checked out the Hillgrove, who have amazing deals on and they had our date free so i provisionally booked them, this was long after i had paid the deposit with errigal. I would have been prepared to move as i still would have saved more even after losing the deposit. Once she heard this she backed down. Maybe you could do the same, even if you wouldn't be prepared to go to another hotel, no harm in bluffing. Just get all your figures and do like for like comparisons. Re the rooms, yes they do use the houses across the way from the hotel, however they aren't actually set out as houses, they are just hotel rooms. I haven't seen them, but TBH it wouldn't bother me in the slightest! They are a bit cheaper, only €10 or maybe €20 per room though - i think the prices are set out at the back of the brochure. Again, i'm not that bothered about the number of rooms, or should i say lack of, because other than immediate family and friends i don't think very many people will stay, plus i'm including a list of B&B's nearby in the invitations.
Thanks ludricious! Hopefully you can double check with the hotel the next time you are down re: the residents bar for the OP and of course the rest of us!! (sorry for hijacking your thread orgbride1) Just one more question I want to ask - how did you go about booking the Errigal or indeed any other hotel, e.g Cavan Crystal, Farnham Estate, Hillgrove, Four Seasons? Did you make an appointment to see the hotel/talk to wedding coordinator or did you book without seeing it? Have they showed you the function room done up and the bridal suite? Did you talk much about the day when you provisionally booked the hotel - re: numbers, food choices or prices. Did you negotiate there and then or waited? I'm so sorry for the stupid questions!!
orgbride1 Posts: 47
thanks girls, not sure how my lot will go down in the residents bar. they'll have their instruments with them but sounds like they might not be allowed. we managed to get a extra top up in drink but our wedding is quite big so they can be assured that there'll be plenty of money spent at it. what's the announcement from reception about? i haven't heard anything about it before. the accommodation is a bit of a worry for me too. are any of you girls from cootehill? is there a good supply of b&B's in the area and taxis. i might have to think of laying on a bus to take people home to my home town which is about 40mins away. Oh and hi lastrolo, in regards to booking hotels we arranged to meet with the wedding co ordinators in a few hotels. they gave us the speel and showed us around. we then sat down had tea and discussed no.'s, menus, budgets etc. the bigger the no the more likely they are to negotiate. when they'd given us the info we left. we compared the different hotels then went back to them again for some more negotiations and then settled on prices. hope this helps