ESB Bills

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

FlexyDee Posts: 4904
Hi all, We just got our ESB bill for €200 for 2 months. We live in an apartment with storage heating. Is this normal???
ott Posts: 3920
We're in an apartment with storage heating too. Our highest ESB bill during the winter would be about €180. Our last one was €135 - we switched off the storage heaters a couple of months ago as our apartment is really warm so that probably covers one month of storage heater use. The next bill should be about €80 - €90. We're actually with Bord Gáis now but there isn't much difference to be honest.
gottabfp Posts: 5641
storage heating costs huge amount on the esb! my friend was in a 3 bed house and hers was 600 plus bimonthly with the storage heating
circus123 Posts: 379
hi flexy, we are in an apartment with storage heating (hate the thing) and our bill is always around the €200 mark, sometimes more.
[quote="ottbride":37p1e394]We're in an apartment with storage heating too. Our highest ESB bill during the winter would be about €180. Our last one was €135 - we switched off the storage heaters a couple of months ago as our apartment is really warm so that probably covers one month of storage heater use. The next bill should be about €80 - €90. We're actually with Bord Gáis now but there isn't much difference to be honest.[/quote:37p1e394] We have switched off the night storage also especially at night. Does it make a difference washing clothes and that after 6pm? What other things are you doing OTTBride to stop your bills being so big? We are also very lucky that our apartment is so warm too!
[quote="circus123":1xu0bs0w]hi flexy, we are in an apartment with storage heating (hate the thing) and our bill is always around the €200 mark, sometimes more.[/quote:1xu0bs0w] Ah that's grand! Thought that I was going mad! I know storage heating is a killer on ESB but tbh we had gas heating in the last house we were in and those bills alone were coming in at €200 a month and on top of that we had the ESB to pay for aswell!
ott Posts: 3920
The main thing I suppose for us is that when possible we only switch on the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer after 11pm - that's when the night rate kicks in. I can't think of anything else to be honest. Our immersion heater is on for 2 hours a day and gives us plenty of hot water so we don't skimp on that. Your bill does seem high - I suppose it might be best to judge it during the summer when the storage heaters are switched off for the full two month bill to get an idea of where the units are going. I have to say, I'm glad we have storage heating - I think it's very efficient. If we were paying for gas or oil on top of a smaller electricity bill I'm sure it would come to more in total than we are paying now.
[quote="ottbride":2bnneafj]The main thing I suppose for us is that when possible we only switch on the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer after 11pm - that's when the night rate kicks in. I can't think of anything else to be honest. Our immersion heater is on for 2 hours a day and gives us plenty of hot water so we don't skimp on that. Your bill does seem high - I suppose it might be best to judge it during the summer when the storage heaters are switched off for the full two month bill to get an idea of where the units are going. I have to say, I'm glad we have storage heating - I think it's very efficient. If we were paying for gas or oil on top of a smaller electricity bill I'm sure it would come to more in total than we are paying now.[/quote:2bnneafj] Our water heater is coming on from 4am to 8am each morning. We have a 2 hr immersion also. Would it be better to turn off the night one and turn it on for 2 hours at 8 in the morning?? I find the storage heating great tbh! I will start using the washing machine from 11pm in future and also the same with the dishwasher!
LeonardandPenny Posts: 2684
our last esb bill was €320 in an apt and we've storage heating which we dont use as they dont heat up the place enough so we bought a heater instead (only use that and find it much better) and only in the winter when we had the snow we used both heaters! Our christmas bill was €500+ we've had the heater off a couple of months now as its so warm and it still came in high I just can't understand it, we put the washing on after 12 when we're going to bed and dont use the dryer or the dishwasher. the last bill was an estimate and we rang up and gave the reading and we're still waiting on a new bill which we shuold of got two weeks ago! >:o(
Mrs Messer! There is something wrong with your storage heaters! Times may not be right on it! I put the actual readings in online last night and I got the new bill this morning!