???? Estrogen

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sassy Posts: 2269
Well got my blood results yesterday. GP says that my estrogen level is quite low and is reffering me to a Gynae. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about this and the treatment that will have to be done.
sunnyside Posts: 3164
Didn't want to read and not reply- don't know anything about this though although at least it sounds like a step in the right direction. will you have to wait long to get your gynae appointment?
Thanks for replying sunnyside. I don't know when i'll get an appointment, i'll ring around today, when i can get my head around it. I'm no good in work today as i just can't concentrate. I think it's the idea that i don't know anything about this or how easy it can be treated. O:| O:| O:|
Must be frustrating. I'm sure someone on here knows more about it and can help with some info. treat yourself to a nice coffee break and dont' get stressed :action32
I now i shouldn't stress but it's so hard when you know there is actually something wrong with you. Being Valentines day tomorrow. We are going to have a romantic night with a couple of bottles of wine. One with my name on it. O-O O-O
Good for you. O-O
feelsobad Posts: 693
Hi Sassy - Dont worry - I believe it can be treated with estrogen meds. See below info on it. :wv Low estrogen levels: Can this affect ovulation? Estrogen is the main female reproductive hormone. It is the name given to a family of ovarian hormones which all have similar characteristics. During the female menstruation cycle, the production of estrogen is controlled by the hormone LH (Luteinizing Hormone) both indirectly and directly. The "Yellow Body" (corpus lutem) is directly stimulated by LH to produce estrogen, whereas before ovulation, the granulosa cells of the follicle are stimulated to produce estrogen via an enzyme called aromatase. Most definitely, estrogen plays a role in female fertility and specifically ovulation. Estrogen is the dominant hormone in the first half of the menstrual cycle and continues to play a part throughout the second half as well. If a woman is deficient in estrogen symptoms such as hot flashes, headaches, night sweats and vaginal dryness may occur. If estrogen is low, the normal feedback mechanisms of the hypothalamus and pituitary do not function causing an imbalance in the natural menstruation cycle. In such women the lining of the uterus is scant and not hospitable to a pregnancy. More often than not, in these women, ovulation may not occur at all. Estrogen levels and Ovulation. When the reproductive anatomy of a woman is normal, the absence or the loss of ovulation is usually caused by a hormonal condition. If estrogen is present, the progestin challenge test will then trigger a menstrual period in the woman. This situation is called ovulation, in which case estrogen levels are typically normal. If ovulation does not occur in a woman because of very low estrogen levels, there are two possible causes of the problem; Either the ovaries are not being told properly what to do, or the ovaries are incapable of releasing eggs. The ovaries are not being told what to do. Excessive exercise, low body weight, and eating disorders all adversely affect the pituitary gland, so that it doesn't send proper signals to the ovary. Women with these conditions are found to have very low levels of estrogen; they do not bleed in response to the progestin challenge. These women also do not release eggs and hence can not ovulate. The ovaries are unable to make hormones. If a woman is diagnosed as having low estrogen levels, the next step is to test the blood level of the pituitary hormone FSH. This hormone, produced by the pituitary gland, serves to tell the ovary to make estrogen and to ready the eggs for ovulation. If the ovary doesn't have any eggs, or if it can't release them, the pituitary sends out more and more FSH in an attempt to get the ovary to respond. For the woman who is found to have a very high FSH level, it's a sign that the pituitary is trying stimulate the ovary but the ovary isn't responding. Ovulation or the releasing of eggs goes hand in hand with hormone production. So if eggs are not present, estrogen won't be produced. Genetic conditions like Turner Syndrome, which also may be associated with short stature, can lead to ovaries that don't make eggs. And this in turn will trigger an anovulatory cycle. Treatment for low estrogen levels. In situations where a woman is not getting her periods normally (ovulating only four to six times a year) and the underlying cause can't be changed, estrogen-containing medications can help to induce ovulation. Natural remedies such as tofu, dong quai and yams have some estrogenic qualities, but there has not been much medical literature published on their benefits. Certainly, it's crucial from a medical perspective to diagnose and treat low-estrogen levels. In addition, low estrogen levels can also have harmful emotional and psychological effects arising from late puberty or hampered fertility. If you suspect an infertility problem, start noting cervical mucus changes, taking your basal body temperature and noting cervical position changes. Such information is can be very helpful in helping you detect fertility related problems.