Excerising thats safe

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

goingmad Posts: 657
hey girlies *) was just wondering if you could recommend any excerises that I could be doing, doc told me I have to stop the gym so looking for something else to keep me going. I have been walking but I think i need a little bit more. Thanks girlies :lvs
oddwire Posts: 842
Swimming seems to be really effective and recommended in any book I've read. Also yoga or pilates - really good for strengthening you up, toning etc. PMing you some other info...
[quote="oddwire":1r6d5qok]Swimming seems to be really effective and recommended in any book I've read. Also yoga or pilates - really good for strengthening you up, toning etc. PMing you some other info...[/quote:1r6d5qok] Thanks a million oddwire, was thinking about going back doing yoga but wasn't too sure if the bends & twists would be safe.
oddwire Posts: 842
I'm doing pilates twice a week, have been doing it for the last few years. Was chatting with my teacher last week, asking her was I still ok to continue as I am and she said that as long as I don't feel any discomfort to continue. There are a couple of exercises that I don't bother with, and a couple of modifications that I have to do. I know that in the first trimester you can't overwork your abs too much so I changed a few of the exercises so I wasn't doing the full version. Once your teacher knows then they can tell you what will work or not. I had a good chat with mine before starting back in September, when I had just found out about being pregnant and that's the advice she gave, and she said that from week 16 you can really start to push your body hard..!! Her advice is that the fitter you are the better, and then the baby will just "shoot" out of you :eek
[quote="oddwire":3ay1ucuv]I'm doing pilates twice a week, have been doing it for the last few years. Was chatting with my teacher last week, asking her was I still ok to continue as I am and she said that as long as I don't feel any discomfort to continue. There are a couple of exercises that I don't bother with, and a couple of modifications that I have to do. I know that in the first trimester you can't overwork your abs too much so I changed a few of the exercises so I wasn't doing the full version. Once your teacher knows then they can tell you what will work or not. I had a good chat with mine before starting back in September, when I had just found out about being pregnant and that's the advice she gave, and she said that from week 16 you can really start to push your body hard..!! Her advice is that the fitter you are the better, and then the baby will just "shoot" out of you :eek[/quote:3ay1ucuv] Oh my god!! All i can think about now is this bady shouting out of me & hitting the doc in the head!!! :o0 :o0
sligo06 Posts: 513
I wonder why your doc said the gym was out - my consultant, GP and my sister who is a GP all told me it was fine to continue in the gym as long as I didn't push it too much i.e. get overheated and have my heart rate rise over 140. I am 23 weeks and still running, using the cross trainer, swimming, doing weights and pilates. Pilates is great I love it and have been doing it for years - my instructor has suggested that I need to start doing a pre-natal class rather than the regular class from now on.
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
[quote="sligo06":107fcgnb]I wonder why your doc said the gym was out - my consultant, GP and my sister who is a GP all told me it was fine to continue in the gym as long as I didn't push it too much i.e. get overheated and have my heart rate rise over 140. I am 23 weeks and still running, using the cross trainer, swimming, doing weights and pilates. Pilates is great I love it and have been doing it for years - my instructor has suggested that I need to start doing a pre-natal class rather than the regular class from now on.[/quote:107fcgnb] I don't know why your doc said that either. Are you new to the gym? It's recommended that you don't [b:107fcgnb]start[/b:107fcgnb] a new exercise regime while pregnant but if you've been working out regularly it's not a problem as sligo06 outlined. Two women I train with continued their martial arts throughout pregnancy. Obviously they had to modify some aspects of it and take things easier but they both felt better for it. I don't know if it had anything to do with it but they both snapped back to their usual size pretty quickly!
sligo06 Posts: 513
I am keeping my fingers cross that keeping my regime up will ensure that I don't put on too much weight and that I get back to my normal size as soon as possible. Also indications seem to be that if you are fit the easier the pregnancy and the labour. Don't know if any of you saw the report yesterday from the Coombe re 1 in 5 of their pregnant patients being obese. The prof also said that he couldn't understand why pregnant women were told to lay off exercise as it contributed to better pregnancy's and easier births. Well I've certainly had a very easy time of it to date so fingers crossed this will continue !
No I'm not new to the gym at all, I go three times a week, I walk 3 miles on the other days, I also do budokon, it's a mix of yoga & martial arts. He said I can keep the walking up but need to cuy out the gym??? I don't mind cutting it out as long as I can keep everything else going.
jill80 Posts: 565
I'm finding it so hard to be motivated to go walking in this weather, would cycling be okay on the exercise bike? I havent been doing it too regularly over past 2-3 months but if I was to re-start now properly wonder would it be ok? I want my body to be healthy for the little bean! Know if I rely on walking I'll keep putting it off with the ice etc :-8