Menu

Excuse me???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mari yay Posts: 4045
OK I just got my room list from my hotel of people that have booked so far because I was confirming the complimentary rooms with the hotel. And on the list that they sent me back is OH's aunt, even though I haven't sent out any invites, nor did I send them a booking form for the hotel, so they wouldn't know if they are even invited yet. O:| O:| O:| Cheeky much????
MissBid Posts: 587
I had the exact same issue - OHs uncle and wife booked themselves into a room as soon as we announced the wedding - and we hadn't spoken to them at all. Very cheeky indeed. I was raging, but of course OH couldn't see the problem..
mamasarus Posts: 831
Ah here, what are people like?! I suppose just take it as a compliment, but I hear ya!! We'd the exact same happen us My OHs aunties cousins etc all held rooms, for 6 adults and 3 kids. They were first to book hotel :eek And then week before wedding I asked for updates on rooms and their names were gone! They'd booked into a diff hotel... Eh wha? Still don't know why and now have to listen to them saying 'oh we should've stayed in hotel, we missed all the Craic in res bar' Which is true, never did find out why and it wasn't the cost as they're loaded! Lucky them
pinkerbelle10 Posts: 705
I had the same thing. People (not immediate family or best mates!) who booked into hotel before I sent out invites! As soon as I found out I ended up speaking to family and close friends that I knew wanted to stay in hotel to tell them to book asap as I was afraid the rooms would be gone (at least the ones at the rate). Then we blocked off a certain number of rooms for other important guests that we knew would prob want to stay when the invites went out.
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
I don't really see this as a problem at all? She's a aunt of your OH? Maybe she got a good price for booking early
happyfamily Posts: 3323
This wouldn't bother me at all. As soon as I know where a wedding will be held that I know we're going to I keep an eye out on booking.com for a good deal. I'm sure if she doesn't get an invite she'll cancel the room!! I don't see how somebody could take offence to this. I'd be delighted that someone was looking forward to the wedding enough to get all organized and book the room. And some hotels have limited accomodation and book up quickly so I say fair play to her.
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
I don't see any problem whatsoever in doing this. Right now I am looking to book a room for a wedding next June 2012. Have been to loads of weddings in this particular hotel - they black out all wedding dates on their own website and charge an absolute fortune per night. The last wedding I attended I had a room booked nine months previous and got it through a discount website. Three months later there wasn't a room left in the hotel. There was one wedding I wasn't 100% we would be invited to or not but I still went ahead and booked a room months in advance - got it for €99. By the time invitations were sent rooms were being quoted at €199. If it turned out we hadn't been invited there was a cancellation policy of full refund up to 48 hours in advance.
happyfamily Posts: 3323
[quote="Jane Smith":etag6kld]I don't see any problem whatsoever in doing this. Right now I am looking to book a room for a wedding next June 2012. Have been to loads of weddings in this particular hotel - they black out all wedding dates on their own website and charge an absolute fortune per night. The last wedding I attended I had a room booked nine months previous and got it through a discount website. Three months later there wasn't a room left in the hotel. There was one wedding I wasn't 100% we would be invited to or not but I still went ahead and booked a room months in advance - got it for €99. By the time invitations were sent rooms were being quoted at €199. If it turned out we hadn't been invited there was a cancellation policy of full refund up to 48 hours in advance.[/quote:etag6kld] Thats exactly how I do it too. As soon as I hear a date and a venue I look at room prices online. I often book nearly a year in advance and it's amazing how much cheaper it can be-even cheaper than the "wedding rates" some hotels have. It makes it more affordable to attend the wedding and stay in the actual venue.
mobmar Posts: 642
[quote="happyfamily":1worhzry][quote="Jane Smith":1worhzry]I don't see any problem whatsoever in doing this. Right now I am looking to book a room for a wedding next June 2012. Have been to loads of weddings in this particular hotel - they black out all wedding dates on their own website and charge an absolute fortune per night. The last wedding I attended I had a room booked nine months previous and got it through a discount website. Three months later there wasn't a room left in the hotel. There was one wedding I wasn't 100% we would be invited to or not but I still went ahead and booked a room months in advance - got it for €99. By the time invitations were sent rooms were being quoted at €199. If it turned out we hadn't been invited there was a cancellation policy of full refund up to 48 hours in advance.[/quote:1worhzry] That's exactly how I do it too. As soon as I hear a date and a venue I look at room prices online. I often book nearly a year in advance and it's amazing how much cheaper it can be-even cheaper than the "wedding rates" some hotels have. It makes it more affordable to attend the wedding and stay in the actual venue.[/quote:1worhzry] +1 I would agree with this and don't see any problem with it. Maybe you should ask your OH's aunt how much she got the room for. I know a couple that this happened too and it work to their advantage. The bride's aunt booked a room for €130 in the hotel that the wedding was in but didn't say she was going to the wedding. The wedding rate was €150. The bride got onto to the hotel and said she couldn't expect the rest of her family to pay more then this aunt. The hotel give her the €130 rate for all her guests. So it worked in her faveour.
sweetbubbles Posts: 377
So don't think this is cheeky either. Haven't sent out invites either and theres already over a dozen rooms booked in our venue. I'm hugely flattered that people are thinking that much about our wedding that they would organise their rooms this far in advance. Don't see what the problem is, assif you're not going to invite his aunt anyway!