Excuses for not Drinking

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Wolly Bride Posts: 95
Hi Guys, well its great to be finally over at this Forum. My coisin and work collegue is getting married in two weeks time and are a week apart, i found out that i am currently 5 weeks pregnant and was wondering if any off yee have any ideas of excuses i could use for not drinking at these weddings................. All my family will be there and don't want to tell them either till the 12 week mark but if i have to i will but would love a good excuse as to not to drink. So any ideas girls....... O-O O-O
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
Its hard because the minute you stop drinking people start guessing :o0 I was at a wedding and "pretended" to drink wine. I put 7-up in one which I sipped at until after the meal, after that I just had a glass of wine in front of me and danced most of the night. No body even noticed, they all assumed I was drinking as much as they were. I think I even pretended to move on to the vodka's and 7ups but DH took my vodka and I just drank the 7up.
chicam Posts: 1169
If you're on antibiotics you're not supposed to drink - so I used this excuse for a few weeks....and if ppl got personal and asked me why I was on antibiotics I said "female issues" and that was enough to shut them up lol :o0 They might still be a bit suspicious but they won't comment on it.
mrs.july Posts: 3167
My friend used the antibiotics line for a wedding and two weekends away and we believed her-so gullible!!!! :o0 :o0 :o0
lifestooshort Posts: 2312
I hear antibiotics and my ears prick up! I used to have a glass of red wine then pretend I'd gone onto shorts by having 7UP I had one work event where I went and quietly asked the bar man to give me non alcoholic beer every time I came to bar in a glass poured to which i got a funny look but he did it for me which totally threw everyone off the scent!
newbie24 Posts: 530
So far I've had a wisdom tooth infection and been on anti-biotics so can't drink (this one was believable though as I did have all four taken out in June!) and then this weekend it's a kidney infection.........but that would be with two totally seperate sets of friends, so no one should get suspicious......... But we have done one night when I was on just the sparkling water or 7ups and everyone presumed I was on the G&T's.... no one copped on (at least they never said they had!)...... :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0
maisedon Posts: 1394
I used very excuse I could think of - I even brought the car with me and said I was driving - and everyone still guessed I was pregnant!!! :eek I eventually told all my family when I was 8 weeks gone, and the response was "sure everyone knows already" or "We've known for weeks"!!! :o0 Somebody will always be watching you, imo....
alton Posts: 3077
You can't beat telling them that you've just joined AA. Nobody will even think that you might be pregnant, they'll be so busy gossiping about how they always suspected that you had a drinking problem :o0 :o0 :o0 But antibiotics, being the designated driver, your detox diet, and drinking decoys are all good excuses too.