Expensive guest rooms - what would you do?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

chocbiscuitcake Posts: 658
Hi, A close friend is getting married shortly and has just sent out her invitations. Her venue is a very lovely-looking country house in Wexford, which it seems they have hired exclusively including booking out all the bedrooms. She keeps talking to me about how her family are reluctant to book rooms in it (both her and her fiancé are relatively local) and that she's scared that she will end up having to pay for all the empty rooms. As I'm not from there, I just assumed that my OH and I would book in for the night there, but the cheapest rooms are €250 - this is at the wedding discounted rate. So, even though I love my luxury, I find it hard to justify and was hoping to get a B&B some place nearby for a third of that price. However, I feel really sorry for her that she might be stuck with the bills if all the rooms aren't filled. Should I just be supportive and book in and... in that case, perhaps spend maybe €50 less than I normally would on a gift - I know how bad that sounds, sorry, but money really is a bit tight at the moment. What do you all think? If she wasn't committed to booking all the rooms in the hotel, I would definitely take the B&B option. So what do you think? Should I be just grin and bear it because they signed a contract for exclusivity, or should I do what my sensible side is telling me and book the B&B?
thebrideof2009 Posts: 1416
hi what name of hotel pm me if you want i cant think of any place that expensive pm me the name if ya want n maybe id know a nice b n b :wv
Nov Bridie 09 Posts: 967
That's a toughie... She's obviously a very close friend so can I suggest that you explain to her that money is tight and that although you would love to stay in the hotel that you just can't afford to do that and get them the gift that you had in mind. Ask her straight out if she would prefer you to stay in the hotel and only get a small gift or that you stay in a cheaper B&B and get the gift you were planning. I'm sure she would prefer to have you stay in the hotel. I think the honest appriach is definitely best in this case. Good luck!
wex-girl Posts: 179
hi where is the hotel pm if you don't want to disclose the name...
blueswallow Posts: 1244
Personally, I'd do what suits you. The couple chose to have their wedding at this venue and cannot expect their guests to pay for the luxury and exclusivity that they want for their day. I understand that she's a good friend, but I wouldn't put myself under unecessary financial strain if I were you.
happy angel Posts: 928
hi i would explain it to the bride that you cant afford that ammount it is an awful ammount for 1 night if you do end up staying she may get annoyed if you cut her presant i had very close friend who did reading very involved shared room in hotel only spent 25 on it got her dress for 30 shoes for 5 did own tan hair 15 and spent very little she gave us 2 glasses say round 10 each and a note i was very hurt if only she gave the money we have our home 4 years she has good job b4 i get back lash anyway what i am saying is i know times are tough butbe honest
BlossomHill Posts: 2169
[quote="blue_swallow":3owmiat3]Personally, I'd do what suits you. The couple chose to have their wedding at this venue and cannot expect their guests to pay for the luxury and exclusivity that they want for their day. I understand that she's a good friend, but I wouldn't put myself under unecessary financial strain if I were you.[/quote:3owmiat3] I agree totally with Blue-Swallow. You should not feel under any financial pressure. It was other couple's choice. Most considerate brides would take these things into consideration when deciding on a venue!
B2B09 Posts: 203
[quote="BlossomHill":2jrf7psr] I agree totally with Blue-Swallow. You should not feel under any financial pressure. It was other couple's choice. Most considerate brides would take these things into consideration when deciding on a venue![/quote:2jrf7psr] Yes - I am with the others on this.... It's her choice... you don't have to book a room.
BlossomHill Posts: 2169
Her own family are even reluctant to stay.........at those prices I am not surprised.
april0804 Posts: 36
It is a real bitch that hotels do this, we wanted to book Adare Manor but you had to take a certain number of rooms for more than one night as well which meant we would have had to ask friends and family to stay. So we decided agianst it. I am glad now as the way things have gone money is tight every where. I feel bad for your friend I am sure when they booked it was pre recession so they thought they would have no problem filling, circumstances have changed. I would talk to your friend and tell her your situation as I am sure you are not the only guest feeling the pinch she could get a real shock with the actual numbers that book and be left with a large bill for vacant rooms. So it is better she do something now also. If I were her I would go back to the hotel and haggle a better price for the rooms the hotels are suffering to, they would be better off with heads in beds than empty rooms if people stay that is more food / drink revenue to them. Alternativeley the bridal party may have to bite the bullet and supplement the room price, at least it would lower the avarage cost and save them paying for fully unoccupied rooms. Either way it is best you let her know so she can take action now. Sorry for babbling I hope this helps O:| O:|