Menu

expressing milk?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrsp2010 Posts: 1461
when did you all start expressing milk? JB is due before 16th december and i am hoping to breast feed but i was hoping if i he/she arrives on time that i may have a glass of wine on christmas and new yrs( thats if i feel like it!lol i may not even want it!) wondering if making up a few expressed bottles incase i do have glass but is it far too early to be doin it?
Marvin Mole Posts: 1076
My midwife and health visitor told me not to start expressing before 4 weeks to make sure supply was well established. So thats what I did. However, this time think I will start much earlier, say after a week or two as felt really by week 2 my supply was great ... cos I was a newbie I was scared to go against midwife advice!
snowbear Posts: 2107
Don't worry. You can have the odd glass when you are feeding and with a week old baby that's all you will feel like! The odd glass has been known to relax Mam and help the milk flow. The kellymom site has good info.
CestMoi Posts: 2162
+1 to what Miranda H says, and its too early to express then. Your supply won't be established by then, don't mess it up by trying to express, you'll have enough going on with a newborn to be messing around with a pump. You'll still have to feed your baby, and then try and express off additional milk, so you'll wear yourself out!
ok girls thanks! so if i had a glass it wont affect the baby? i will have a chat with the midwife when i see her next
Daff Posts: 11644
one glass won't do any harm - a normal glass though as in 100mls not the huge ones I used to drink before babies :o0 I expressed from 2 weeks on both, maybe a little sooner. It was important to me that they took a bottle. DD1 took it no bother but dd2 hated it so took a lot of work. She's 4.5 weeks now and I'd express an ounce or two every second day. Hasn't had any effect on supply as I alternate boobs and time of day. Had a small stash in freezer and had a few glasses of wine last weekend. But as others said you probably won't want more than that - I lvoe my wine but after the second glass I really didn't want any more as I was so tired and knew I'd to get up with DD2 during the night. You'll read loads of different things on it but at the end of the day everyone is different and it's what works for you. I'm lucky that BF was easy enough on both and i was also able to express iwth no trouble.
Delphinium Posts: 3027
I've heard of women maybe just waiting until just after a feed to have that glass of wine. I would think that it would make sense not to be drinking one just before you are due to feed. If you take the guideline that it takes 1 hour for a unit of alcohol to be processed through your bloodstream you shouldn't go too far wrong I think.
thanks girls so if i was to have one its prob best straight after a feed?
CestMoi Posts: 2162
yeah, it's probably the best idea! Even if the baby did want to feed again after you had drank some, it wouldn't go straight into the milk that was already produced. You'd probably have 2.5 /3 hours from you drank it until they would need to feed again. i.e. feeding every 3 - 3.5 hours, and initially drinking slowly it might take up to 1 hour to get a feed done, between winding and all. I honestly don't know where the time went in the beginning but feeds could take this long. Don't worry though, he could feed in under 10 minutes after a few weeks, probably around the 3 month stage (gradual improvements every week).
Daff Posts: 11644
[quote="mrsp2010":30gfj1sb]thanks girls so if i was to have one its prob best straight after a feed?[/quote:30gfj1sb] I've always been told it's best to have the glass while feeding as it takes an hour to get into system etc so that's the optimal time to drink it!