[email protected]$%&*g insurance company.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hepburn Posts: 4081
Updating our life assurance as we are moving house and increasing our mortgage. I was as honest as possible about past ailments and conditions etc. They sent out further forms for me to fill in relating to these conditions. This I had no problem with. That was a week and a half ago. Now they have sent a form to my gp requiring more info.....she is on holiday for 2 weeks. We are supposed to move on the 12th of sept and this is probably going to f**k that up. So annoyed at the week and a half lapse(there is no excuse for it really) and at the need for yet more information. Do they not trust me? It should be obvious I am being honest as I have given so much detail. Really upset about this as my son is constantly asking when we are moving....he can't wait for it. >:o( >:o( >:o( >:o( >:o( >:o( >:o( >:o( >:o( >:o( >:o( >:o( >:o(
TokenMale Posts: 6845
Happened to me too, and it was a stressful PITA, to be honest. You could try ringing them and telling them that your GP is away, and can they arrange a medical with one of their list of doctors for you instead. That can get things moving, although it's a different kind of PITA.
Elliecat Posts: 2725
Are you absolutely sure the life assurance will affect when your mortgage starts? We have only just sorted out our life assurance and we moved at the beginning of July. Our financial advisor told us that a lot of mortgage companies don't even insist on life assurance as a condition of the mortgage anymore - their attitude is that they couldn't care less whether you are living or dead, they can always repossess the house to pay off the debt. Might be worth a call to your bank to check. Edited to add: I'm in the North, so may be different to you.
Toblerone Posts: 2698
Ah no Hepburn so sorry to hear that. My experience with f****g companies is similar - my opinion is that they just don't care how much they are messin up your life. Is there another doc in surgery who could look over your file and fill in additional info to the company! really hope you get sorted for you and your son.
Thanks for the replies people. Now the form seems to have gone missing too..... O:| Interesting elliecat.....will look into that.
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
hi hepburn I used to work for Bank of Ireland life a couple of years ago so I might be able to answer your questions. As your are increasing your mortgage, your life assurance needs to increase in line with this in the event of a death and the mortgage needs to be paid off. Everybody has certain limits of cover they can have before further medical information is required in the form of a GP report or a full medical with an independent doctor of the insurance companies choice. If its general medical history they are looking for these forms can usually be signed by the admin staff. You mentioned that you have already filled in a form relating to the specific condition you have - the underwritiers need to have this information clarified by your gp. This is just to cover their own backs to make sure that there is no non disclosure of medical information. If the proper medical facts are not established at the outset, this can be classed as non disclosure and could mean if the future that any claims on the policy would be void. I assure you that they are not doing this to piss you off but to make sure that you will be protected in the future. If they have an issue with the condition after all the underwriting has been done they could decide to you rate your policy which means that you will not be able to claim in relation to any problems you may have in the future that would be directly related to this condtion - an exclusion on the policy. Best to find this out now than 10 years down the line. With regards Ellicats statement on the life assurance - no company that I know of in Ireland will release a loan chq without the relevent protection in place. Its gross misconduct on their behalf if they do and it would be crucifed by the financial regulator. If the loan chq was released at 9.00am with your life assurance was not in place and you or your partner died at 9.30am you would have no legal rights and would not have any policy in place to pay back your debt to the mortgage provider.
Don't know how i am only seeing this now Mrs Crilly. Thanks so much for going to the trouble of such a long reply! It is all sorted now thank God. Never, ever moving again!!
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
no problem!!!