Fabulous VBAC last week

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

GentleBirth Posts: 750
Baking a birthday cake for your baby in labour is such a great way to keep upright, busy and focused. Tracy ---------------------------------------------------------- May arrival - 9lbs4oz / 4220g, 52cm long In 2009 I had an elective section with our son as he was in breech position. I became pregnant again 13months after he was born and from the very beginning I was preparing myself for a VBAC and discussed my birth plan with my care providers. Very early in pregnancy I started to listen to the gentlebirth tracks and continued to do so every day at least once until the birth. The day before I went into labour I felt the famous burst of energy and was cleaning and nesting like mad. In the evening I went for a short but fast walk. I woke up around midnight with some period like sensations in my lower abdomen and said to my husband smiling that it wouldn't be long now. In the morning around 5am I noticed these sensations becoming more regular and I got all excited when they were about five minutes apart. I got up for a shower to see if they would stop but they stayed regular. We had a nice breakfast and I was texting my friend who was going to be my birthing partner to say that I think baby is on its journey. She advised me to inform the hospital to get some advise if I should go in or not because I was still able to move and talk through them. I rang the maternity ward around lunch time and they told me to come in and bring the bags. But we did not leave until the afternoon as I still felt full of energy and was even baking a birth day cake for our new arrival. We arrived at the maternity ward and I was so excited and full of giggles that the midwife who saw me first let us wait in the hall way until a bed was ready for me – that took about an hour...Eventually I got examined and found to be dilated around 5-6cm. Wohoooo. Great! The midwifes went through my birth plan with me and told me these are all normal things they do anyway (like intermittent monitoring, dim lighting, etc.) so I felt great. The ctg monitor was put on me every 15mins while I was standing upright – the most comfortable position for me as I could not sit down, not to mention lie down as that was really uncomfortable for me. In the evening one of the consultants came in to ask if I was happy to proceed with my birth plan and told me if I want to change my mind about anything or if there would be complications, that they will do their job, but until then I stay with the midwifes. So that was great! Really as I hoped. The only uncomfortable thing during my labour was the canula they've put into my hand just as a precaution. I was complaining about that all the time and the midwifes were laughing if that's the only thing, then I will be grand. They were all surprised that I did not seem to be in pain and that I was still laughing and joking with them. My friend and I kept walking the hall way up and down and even some stairs in the beginning and I just had to be back for a short monitoring for babys heart beat every 15mins. Around midnight I got examined again to be found I was still the same – 5-6cm but that babys head has dropped as it was still quite high in the beginning. We kept walking. The contractions became a bit more intense and I couldn't talk through them anymore – they also came more frequently – every two minutes. Around 4am I was very tired from all the walking (I have been upright walking almost 24hrs at that stage) so I tried to lie on my side which was really uncomfortable for me and I wanted to get up again. But suddenly – plopp - my waters broke. The midwife was delighted to see so much clear water. Then things happened very quick. I became sick. A slight urge to push came over me but not really there yet. I climbed back onto the bed onto my knees leaning forward against the head of the bed. The midwife asked me if I want her to examine me again, the way she asked I knew she was confident to continue but I still wanted her to check. So I was fully dilated and she said 'now you can do what ever you want'. The urge to push became stronger. I lost lots of stool and felt a bit sorry for my friend but I had to concentrate on me and baby. The contractions were very intense at that point and I was tired from kneeling and I also felt there was no progress and I just had to rest. So I was lying down again on my side but that did not work for me so I told them that I wanted to get up and stand by the bed (I always hoped to give birth standing). I collected my last resources of energy and held on to the bed which they've brought up very high and then the urge to push was so strong. I could hear the midwife saying something like 'hey baby which way are you coming out?'. But a bit later they were shouting 'we can see dark hair' oh that felt so good and was so motivating! The midwife told me to push and pant until the head came out and then told me that I could touch babys head. That felt so good. I knew the toughest bit was over and only a few more pushes and out came my babys body. They said I was right about the sex of baby and gave her straight away to me. The midwife explained to me that my little girl was a stargazer at first but that she turned during the birth. Maybe thats why I was in such a long labour and my back was so uncomfortable in any other position than being upright. They helped me to lie down onto the bed and my legs were very shaky and my voice was gone from all the roaring...I think I woke the whole hospital or at least the maternity ward...I got an injection for the delivery of the placenta but it still took an hour for it to come out, which was lovely for me actually because I could really enjoy my baby on me – a part that I missed out on my sons birth because of the section. I got examined again and was told that I did not tear around the perineum but inside was a little tear that would have to be stitched. So only for the stitches I used the gas and air, which made me feel really uncomfortable and out of control, but it kept that painful bit to a minimum. I walked back to the maternity ward on my own feet, just as I had imagined all the way through my pregnancy. I am still over the moon and feeling great. During the whole labour there was not one moment where I was in doubt that I could make it. My friend and the midwife were such a fantastic support as they were believing in me and made me feel confident and that kept me going. ------------------------------------------------------
secretsnuggler Posts: 374
Hi Tracy, Lovely birth story :) Do we know which hospital this lady attended? I was surprised to read that she was able to have intermittent monitoring as I thought that continuous monitoring was the norm for VBACs. Memur
GentleBirth Posts: 750
It was in one of the regional hospitals. Mum discussed her birth preferences with the hospital ahead of time so that it wouldn't be an issue on the day. She knew if she was continuously monitored she was more likely to have an unnecessary caesarean or assisted birth. This way she could reduce those risks and avoid an epidural (due to being immobile) which could mask any pain around her scar. You can always negotiate your birth preferences. Tracy
secretsnuggler Posts: 374
Thanks Tracy :thnk