Facebook Help

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

zoesmama Posts: 2774
I am quite careful with who I allow to see Photos of the kids in particular on FB. I have created Lists and add and block people from seeing photos as I want to. We have family and good friends abroad and I do want them to be able to see the photos as it's a great way of keeping everyone up to date without having to individually do it. Anyway yesterday I posted some photos of the kids from Easter. I kept it to the Family and Close Friends lists. This morning I see that my SIL has shared my Album on her own page. Now I get on fine with my SIL but she doesn't live in Ireland and has hundreds of friends who I do not know at all. I don't want to make a big deal of this and with the language barrier she may end up taking me up the wrong way if I say something. I have read conflicting things that even if she shares the album that only people who are our mutual friends can see it due to my existing privacy settings but have also read that all her friends can now see my photos. Which is it ? Is there any setting on FB to allow Friends to view the photos but not to Share them ??
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
You should be able to see a little icon (like the Friends icon with the people's heads) alongside the shared album on you SIL page. Hover over that and see who's listed.
Nope - all there is is an "X" and when you hover it says "Remove". I don't want to do that without talking to her. She is DH's brother's wife and is Greek and doesn't have a lot of English but is a lovely person so I want to approach it the right way. I also want to be able to control it from my end as am Friends with other members of DH's family and don't want a repeat of this.
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
That seems strange zoesmamma cos I've just checked through a load of shared photos and links etc on my page and Friends' pages and they all have either that icon alongside them which tells you lists of Friends that have been set to view it or alternatively they have the world globe icon which means it's set to Public viewing or else the Settings cog wheel icon which is set to Customs viewing. It is underneath the person's name who posted it - in this case your SIL, right beside the date.
Found it ! God, I'm blind ! Hovered over it and it says "SIL's Friends".
tilsun Posts: 4506
Would you ask your dh to have a word with her? Avoid any misunderstandings due to English.
[quote="tilsun":1c0l8cxl]Would you ask your dh to have a word with her? Avoid any misunderstandings due to English.[/quote:1c0l8cxl] I do intend to do that but want to know if there is a Setting preventing Friends from sharing photos. Also don't want him to have to speak to all his family, cousins etc about this. I also don't want to have to block them from viewing photos as we mostly only get to see them all once a year. Some of the stuff I have read online suggests that although SIL has shared the photos according to her own privacy settings that in actual fact only people that I have allowed to view them can still see them - so our mutual family members for example and not the entire of her Friends. But I can't check that .
tilsun Posts: 4506
Sorry, I don't know all the ins and outs, facebook privacy does change a lot. But I do remember once I posted a picture of dd and then noticed a comment on it from a stranger. Sister had reposted and her friend had commented on it. My settings would be 'friends only' but it didn't seem to count once she reposted it. That might have changed since though.
And now his cousin has shared the Photos O:|
ladymacbeth Posts: 713
I thought if they were your photos you could control who sees them , have s root around in your settings - there might be a who can share button . I get around this by setting up a group , its easier to control who can join , you invite your family , make it a closed or private or even secret group and fix it that you can add new members . It seems to be a better way to control pictures . Our friends aren't very selective and my hubs job means we absolutely have to keep family photos private .