Fake Cake!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Dublinbride80 Posts: 74
Hi! I'm just wondering has anyone heard of or is anyone going to have a fake cake? a friend who works in a hotel recommended it to me, she said the amount of wedding cake that goes in he bin after a wedding is terrible and that now some couples are have a cake that only the bottom tier is real cake and the other tiers are just foam or something shaped to look like a cake and then iced so it looks like you have a whole cake. I'm sure it's cut down on costs! :-8
Leftbank Posts: 2395
Girl i know is a pastry chef and she used a 5 tier fake cake. IT looked incredible and they cut the cake and all 4 pics. Who is gonna know at the end of the day? 5 round boxes iced and with ribbons They had real cake in kitchen and that was cut and given out..
spring2010 Posts: 81
I only heard of that being done recently. my sister friend did it for her wedding....i think its a great idea and prob costs a fraction of the price.
Sparklymum Posts: 1563
I honestly can't see how that works out cheaper in the long run. The majority of the cost of a cake is the decoration and the cost factor of a sponge type cake is no more/less than a dummy cake. Dummy Cakes have to be dumped by the Hotel Kitchen for Health & Safety Reasons, so its not re-usable. I would suggest having different flavoured sponge based cakes, slices are bigger they will appeal to more of your guests and there shouldn't be any waste at all. I would agree that in this day and age a 3/4 tier fruit cake just won't be all used up at a wedding, not as many people eat it anymore.
mrsfisherman Posts: 314
The last 3 weddings I was at, very few people had any cake! cant imagine they are eaten!! such a waste but then it is missed if it is not there. Fake cake a great idea!
ros09 Posts: 1923
sometimes you have to use a fake cake depending on the design you want we had the bottom tier as real and the other 2 tier's were fake as the cake wouldnt work we left other cakes to be cut up into the hotel.
miabella Posts: 212
great idea,only have small budget for the cake so might get a BIG fake one instead!! & a small one for cutting.....like other people said not that many people eat it.....they're usually pissed by that stage :hic
mrs shamrock Posts: 603
I was at a wedding recently and they had a fake cake, it was actually given to them by the hotel as the hotel had damaged one side of the cake they had bought!!!!! But it looked great and no one knew it was fake until i was told later on, the real cake was cut and given out later on. I think you could buy a cheaper cake and use a fake one to save on cost as alot of cake is wasted that evening.
marquise Posts: 595
Would you not just get a smaller cake so that it won't go to waste? Why bother paying for a tier of styrofoam?
Sparklymum Posts: 1563
I honestly can't see how that works out cheaper in the long run. The majority of the cost of a cake is the decoration and the cost factor of a sponge type cake is no more/less than a dummy cake. Dummy Cakes have to be dumped by the Hotel Kitchen for Health & Safety Reasons, so its not re-usable. I would suggest having different flavoured sponge based cakes, slices are bigger they will appeal to more of your guests and there shouldn't be any waste at all. I would agree that in this day and age a 3/4 tier fruit cake just won't be all used up at a wedding, not as many people eat it anymore.