Fake drinking! Any tips?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MissSindyhead Posts: 560
Hey girls, I know this is ridiculous and silly and all the rest but just wondering if you have any tips on how to fool people into thinking you're drinking when out with a group socially? It's not an important thing at all in the grand scheme of things I know but I suspect I may be under scrutiny from certain quarters and I'd love to dispel these suspicions somehow. Have a few big things coming up over the next few weeks and if there was something I could do to take the heat off, it would be great. Even as I type this I'm aware of how absolutely ludicrous it must sound. Just thought it was worth asking all the same... Cheers, J
Muse Posts: 1580
If they're house parties, then decant a bottle of non-alcoholic wine (available in Dunnes) in to a regular screw-top empty bottle and just drink from that bottle. It worked for me. If it's a pub situation, try to stay out of rounds and drink coke, saying it's vodka and coke. If your DH is with you and you're a beer drinker, get him to order you a non-alcoholic beer at the bar and pour it into a glass before bringing it back to your table. GOOD LUCK!
Ochre Posts: 877
Congratulations on your BFP Jabberwocky! TBH, I think it really depends how suspicious your friends are and what you normally drink! I've just hit 12 weeks today :o)ll and I know that the cat is well and truly out of the bag with one group of friends but I'm pretty confident that the rest of my friends are pretty unaware. I'm a red wine drinker; don't drink anything else (and I hate fizzy drinks so I can't do the drinking sparkling water thing and pretend it's a g&t). Non alcoholic red wine is possibly the most disgusting thing I've ever drunk; I managed about a glass of it. Apparently the white is much better, especially if diluted with sparkling juice. I've basically avoided tons of nights out over the last while by telling one group that I'm out with another (and then staying in in my pjs!). The reason one gang figured it out was I said I was going off drink for a month before christmas; I no sooner had the statement out of my mouth than one of the girls said "ooh, people will think you have news". At that point, I hadn't even been to to the doctor to confirm the test !!! I then had to go to that girl's hen and she was literally following me round all night to see what was I drinking and then questioning other people if they thought I was PG. As you can imagine, I'm pretty p***ed off with her and will be leaving her to one of the last to be told (petty I know!). So,best of luck with it. As you say, it's obviously not the most important thing to worry about but I get where you're coming from. It really was (and is) a big deal for me that I get to tell people in my own time and that people aren't playing private detective! I've guessed myself that people were PG in the past but I'd never have said it to anyone except DH. As Muse said, the key is that if you are out, to act as normal as possible and to get into 'rounds' with your DH. And if someone does buy you a drink, just go off for a wander and abandon the drink in a plant/on another table!
[quote="Ochre ":3b70v4vu] I then had to go to that girl's hen and she was literally following me round all night to see what was I drinking and then questioning other people if they thought I was PG. As you can imagine, I'm pretty p***ed off with her and will be leaving her to one of the last to be told (petty I know!). [/quote:3b70v4vu] I have a friend like this and she asks us all outright in front of others if we're pregnant any time we don't drink. It's head-wrecking!
snoopy mammny Posts: 251
HI I had a few social occasions with my friends when I found out I was pregnant. The first was a hen weekend - I text my friends a few days earlier saying I'd been to the doc cos of an ear infection and that I was worried I would not be well enough for the hen. So everyone was more worried about me being well enough to make it, than wonder if I was off the drink for another reason. Then one of the girls had a BBQ. I had totally gone off meat at this stage, so myself and DH arrived late and told everyone we were travelling back to Dub that night because I had a school mass the next day. I was driving! When it came to the wedding (of the hen), I found this the easiest. They served fruit punch at the reception, so I sipped on 1 glass for 3 hours, pretending I'd gotten refills. For the meal, I had a glass of wine in front of me, took a few sips during the speeches, and drank water for the rest of the meal. I ordered a West Coast Cooler for the toast, had a sip, then when we all moved out of the function room after the meal, DH got me a 7Up and I kept the West Coast Cooler Bottle. It's mad the things we'll do to take the pressure of ourselves! :o0
Ochre Posts: 877
[quote="Muse":1a7kbvs2] I have a friend like this and she asks us all outright in front of others if we're pregnant any time we don't drink. It's head-wrecking![/quote:1a7kbvs2] +1,000,000 I'm SO looking forward to telling her (after everyone else) and when she says "Ooh, I knew it", I'm going to make it quite clear that I know she did and how little I think of her amateur detective efforts.
[quote="Ochre ":3axtek5y][quote="Muse":3axtek5y] I have a friend like this and she asks us all outright in front of others if we're pregnant any time we don't drink. It's head-wrecking![/quote:3axtek5y] +1,000,000 I'm SO looking forward to telling her (after everyone else) and when she says "Ooh, I knew it", I'm going to make it quite clear that I know she did and how little I think of her amateur detective efforts.[/quote:3axtek5y] It's terrible, but all the girls in our group have said that she will be the last to be told too, as she makes it so difficult for everyone.
MissSindyhead Posts: 560
I think some people just like to let you know how "cute" they are and how you can't fool them. Personally, I think it's really rude and insensitive to ask someone outright. You're forcing them to a) lie or b) tell you something that they are uncomfortable/superstitious about revealing. I never thought of the non-alcoholic beer angle. Might be an idea. Cheers for the replies and if you think of anything else... J