family history of blood clots

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Lureal Posts: 455
Ok so at my 14 week appointment when I was asked about history of blood clots in family, I told them my paternal grandmother had 2 leg clots when she was in her late 40's early 50's I think. Also my own mother had a clot at the end of one of the pregnancies. I don't know if either of these are because of a clotting disorder. Anyway the midwife said that will be significant later in your pregnancy and we will talk about it then.. does anyone know what will happen, I have my 29 week appointment in October and I wonder will we be talking about it then. It is a slight worry at the back of my head, I had a scare at 16 weeks with really bad leg pain and got it checked, no clot was found but my blood clotting agent " d dimer" was positive, but only slightly over the limit. They did say that this can happen in a normal pregnancy anyway. I am more worried now about a possible placenta clot rather than dvt. I am just wondering has anyone had any issues with a history of blood clots and what does the hospital do to monitor? I do wonder if I might have a clotting disorder as I had one miscarriage earlier this year and a lot of blood clots in the endometrium early in this pregnancy that they didn't know what they were but they disapeared and at my last scan the baby was measuring a week ahead so the placenta is fine for now anyway I know I will just have to wait and see at the appointment but I am so impatient!!
bunnyhop1 Posts: 419
Have this in my family as well... to be honest they just monitor it...unless u show symptoms or have been diagnosed with a specific disorder they seem to leave well enough alone!! They can treat a clot when pregnant so dont worry about that...they can also give the inohep as a precaution with no risk to baby if needs be. Hope that helps, sorry i dont know more...
Thanks bunnyhop, do you mind me asking what your family history is, if you don't want to say that is fine. I imagine then nothing will be done at my appointment but at least they are aware anyway. I will probably bring it up just to remind them!!
Factor 5 Leiden thrombophilia and a few cases of thrombosis!! They might do bloods but apparently the clotting factors are all over the shop when ur pg so they might not tell anything!! Always good to keep reminding them of it!!
have you ever got tested for it Bnnyhop- sorry for all the questions now! I will definitely mention it. I don't even know if the clots were random events or if they are genetic things so I am jumping the gun but after my mothers experience which I remember all too well I can't just ignore it.
No I was PG when the factor 5 was discovered and the breastfed and then got PG again as soon as I finished...they said the bloods would be off because of that and might get a false reading. YOu're best to make them aware but it seems to be a wait and see thing!! TG I haven't had any hopefully you'll be the same!!
gingernutter Posts: 1356
Lureal i have a clotting dissorder, its factor 5 leiden- means i will be more prone to clotting. got it diagnosed with a simple blood test with gp as i was getting loads of tests done before my ivfs and clotting dissorders can lead to miscarriages & probs with placenta blood flow. my ivf clinic has me on 60mg heperin injections a day until 6 weeks after birth and the rotunda are fine with that. its just a precaution really. I'm surprised they didn't do any of the thrombophilia bloods on you at your booking in appt.
Thanks bunny hop and gingernutter, I mentioned it to doc this morning and she is going to do clotting panal on me in the morning and I should have results by end of week. At least I will know then.
hebe Posts: 22
Hi, I have just had blood tests which came back positive for factor V leiden. I am waiting on second tests to confirm this. However My concultant has said that because I have no history of clots myself, my pregnancy is healthy and i have had no previous miscarraiges they probably wouldnt actively treat me for this.I will be 30wks+ by the time thse results come back. However if I had surgery they would treat me afterwards. My consultant also said that on average 1 in 5 people have this but are unaware unless they have family history of a blood clot. she didnt seem to be too concerned, but it will be monitored. Hope this helps. dont worry too much, just be vigilant yourself. I read that purple grape juice, garlic and ginger in your diet can all help to prevent clots. As is staying well hydrated, not sitting in one position for too long and regular light exercise.
Thanks hebe, it is interesting to see that they are not treating you, I will probably be the same if I do have it as I have no personal histroy of clots either, I have had one miscarriage but don't think it was related at all as it was blighted ovum. I feel better now just checking for it at least as I just want to know so they can know so that IF they need to keep a close eye on me and baby that they can.