Menu

FAO SAHM

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jarashow Posts: 3083
There is a very large possibility that I will be out of a job by the end of the year and if this is the case I was planning on being a SAHM and early next year working on the next arrival :o0 So my question is..... what do you do during the day??? I mean do you set yourself something to do or somewhere to go each day so as you can have some structure? We are hoping to keep LO in creche for at least 2 half days, it would be good for her to keep it up for social skills plus will give me time to clean the house or anything else I need to do and can't with babs in tow. I would really love if some of you (and I know there are a good few on here) could let me know how your days pan out and any tips you have.
dovedro Posts: 1295
Hey I think it depends on the age of your baby how structured you are. I've always had set nap time etc but up until DS walked we spent a lot more time indoors playing and going out for lunch with people. I always always made a plan for the day though otherwise it can get a bit depressing having nothing organised for the week. Now that DS is older we get up at 7am, he plays around for a while after his bottle, goes back to bed at 9 for an hour and once he's up I get him dressed and fed and we go somewhere for a few hours. Most days its the playground, swimming, visiting friends with babies, gymboree etc. I don't get to go out for lunch with him anymore as he won't sit still! I think the main thing is to have yourself showered and dressed early so your ready to go. My life was always structured when I was working so I like to keep it that way while I'm at home so it's not groundhog day every day. It can be hard sometimes keeping a toddler entertained (TV helps :o0 )but I wouldn't have it any other way and love my time with him Hope that helps a bit :wv
Pinkly Posts: 1414
Would second what Dovedro said about being up, showered & dressed early as otherwise the day is gone. At the moment my DS has set nap times & bottle & solids times so I work my day around that. I try to have a few things planned each week, going out to lunch, meeting friends & we've just started meeting some other mums & children in our area. Some days when the weather is bad it's hard to get out as my LO is still quite young but I absolutely love that I'm able to stay at home with him. My mam takes him for a few hours 1 day during the week so I can catch up on housework etc so keeping her place in the creche would be a good idea for yourself.
Thanks guys. I agree with the up and ready early thing, that's what I used to do when I was on maternity leave. Is it really just like full time maternity leave???
short n sweet Posts: 1802
I think its a little different than maternity leave in that you knew ML was only for a limited time and so enjoyed it as much as possible - I think it was easier to leave the housework "till later" not feel too guilty if DHs dinner wasn't ready when he came home - now though SAHM is your job and you have to fit housework,cooking etc into your routine - like Baby crazy my Mam takes DD one day a week so I can get stuck into cleaning etc. I am also joining a M&K group in September that meets once a week for a couple of hours - think it will be good for DD to have the interaction and see somebody other than me - I am a SAHM through circumstance too Jarashow (lost job also) but now I am doing it its the best thing :lvs
That's a good point SnS that it will be my job.... hmmm not so great at the old cooking but will have to give it a go, maybe I will improve with practise. I suppose with a toddler group, a music one that I want to start taking her to anyways and then hopefully a morning or 2 in the creche and seeing some friends that will be the week filled.
Avril Hiswife Posts: 1743
[quote="short n sweet":37bbx643]I think its a little different than maternity leave in that you knew ML was only for a limited time and so enjoyed it as much as possible - I think it was easier to leave the housework "till later" not feel too guilty if DHs dinner wasn't ready when he came home - now though SAHM is your job and you have to fit housework,cooking etc into your routine - like Baby crazy my Mam takes DD one day a week so I can get stuck into cleaning etc. I am also joining a M&K group in September that meets once a week for a couple of hours - think it will be good for DD to have the interaction and see somebody other than me - I am a SAHM through circumstance too Jarashow (lost job also) but now I am doing it its the best thing :lvs[/quote:37bbx643] Agree. I am stuck with a clingy "velcro" baby, who demands constant attention, and has given up sleeping, so I really struggle to keep on top of the housework. I would give anything to be able to give her to someone for a few hours a week! We have a structured week, with something planned for every day to get us out and about. I go for long walks with friends as well. It is not too bad really! :o0
alton Posts: 3077
Think carefully about the parameters of your new "job" or you could find yourself living the life of a 1950's housewife!!! Looking after a little one is tough going and it is so easy to end up with a "job" that you do 24/7 with no breaks, no status or respect and no pay. Until recently I was getting up at 7.30, getting to bed at 10.30 or 11 (shattered) and then doing on-call night shifts too. I had to cop myself on. I felt sorry for DH going out to work so I would do all the night time wake-ups even though I never got to nap during the day, and I was trying to catch up with housework after DS went to bed. Madness! Lately I decided that enough was enough and started looking for more help from DH, who (after months of me resenting him for not helping more) was delighted to be asked. men really are from a different planet. Now he takes DS one evening a week, and for most of Saturday while I get to be someone other than Mammy for a while, they spend more time together which is brilliant and I ask for more help around the house. We divided things equally when i was working, and I'm working harder now than I ever did outside the house. It's more fun now though :o0
alton Posts: 3077
meant to say that flylady.com have some great tips for getting through the housework.
Avril Hiswife Posts: 1743
In the 1950's housewives generally had more support. Nowadays we are mostly isolated from our extended families, and since women usually work fulltime, we don't have much help from sisters, friends, aunts, mils, mothers etc I had a friend staying recently with her baby and it was bliss to catch up on housework while she played with the LOs. We were saying that if we still lived down the road from one another, life would be easier!